General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

List of Grievances (Problems I don't Understand)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, here's the model and part numbers on the suspension:

Monroe - Front Sensa Trac Strut - 71290
Monroe - Rear Sensa Trac Shock - 5867
Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different speeds = variable miles added to the OD. The faster I went obivously, the more it was off. You can't use your equation in this factor, IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

the numbers were a little over for the guy going from 2.73 to 3.73 gears,
that's 1.366 so for 300 miles it would be 410 not 700.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

ok, got a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft lbs and 4 new rotors (i wanted the rear to match the front) they're prostop brand, oem products.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2 cents:

Get your alignment first and see what it fixes. If you toe in or out angle it will feather and create drag while moving. Since you already bought them change out the rotors and pads, as said before use blanks no cross drilled madness.

FYI ALL headers are illegal period. If it changes the placement of the CATS it is illegal. "Race headers" are ones that simply don't have AIR injection provisions, but the headers are illegal anyhow so who gives about the AIR system. If your returning it to stock I understand but other then that it's useless to change out that stuff to make it legal.

Also if you are just looking to return to a stock tune you may want to look into a local person with HP Tuners or EFI Live and have them flash it back to stock. It shouldn't be a big deal all it is, is opening a stock file and flashing it to your PCM. Also it doesn't take a "professional" tuner to correct your speedo it is a simple one step change for your tuner.

Also others are INCORRECT when telling you the long tubes are making your car run rich, this is a semi-truth. When your car warms up the PCM had fuel trims that automatically adjust to the correct AF ratio, it DOES NOT stick running rich period at normal temps. Thats the whole purpose of the O2's, you get codes when they don't swich properly from lean to rich and back quickly enough, the only time this is not true is at WOT and cold idle when the O2's are not used. Our cars don't hold 14.7 AF ratio at all times like some think. A tune is normally used to add a little timing to add HP and correct the rather small fueling changes to the PCM at WOT and cold start. If the previous owner did away with AIR, O2's and other things he more then likely had a tune to delete the codes and somebody probably played with the tuning. Going back to stock (since you have so few mods) is a cheaper choice, and getting a tune done by a shop is a little better choice (more power, and the corrected WOT and idle fueling) but is way more expensive. A stock tune will be a little off but nothing near risking hurting the motor even at WOT you'll be off by a few hundreths on your AF ratio, the PCM in our cars are pretty robust and will adapt to small changes. I'm pretty sure the guy before you had a tune and probably more mods that required more fuel and demodded the car back to near stock and didn't retune it.

Your AIR system is not required to pass an emissions test by any means, it just kicks your CATS up to temp by adding air to the exhaust. Once up to temp the AIR system shuts down and is no longer used. The only way it would matter is if you went to the emissions place with a cold car. Passing emissions with longtube headers will be somewhat of a challenge but has been done with near stock cars like yours. Make sure you let the car idle up to normal temp THEN take it there to be tested.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
My 2 cents:

Get your alignment first and see what it fixes. If you toe in or out angle it will feather and create drag while moving. Since you already bought them change out the rotors and pads, as said before use blanks no cross drilled madness.

FYI ALL headers are illegal period. If it changes the placement of the CATS it is illegal. "Race headers" are ones that simply don't have AIR injection provisions, but the headers are illegal anyhow so who gives about the AIR system. If your returning it to stock I understand but other then that it's useless to change out that stuff to make it legal.

Also if you are just looking to return to a stock tune you may want to look into a local person with HP Tuners or EFI Live and have them flash it back to stock. It shouldn't be a big deal all it is, is opening a stock file and flashing it to your PCM. Also it doesn't take a "professional" tuner to correct your speedo it is a simple one step change for your tuner.

Also others are INCORRECT when telling you the long tubes are making your car run rich, this is a semi-truth. When your car warms up the PCM had fuel trims that automatically adjust to the correct AF ratio, it DOES NOT stick running rich period at normal temps. Thats the whole purpose of the O2's, you get codes when they don't swich properly from lean to rich and back quickly enough, the only time this is not true is at WOT and cold idle when the O2's are not used. Our cars don't hold 14.7 AF ratio at all times like some think. A tune is normally used to add a little timing to add HP and correct the rather small fueling changes to the PCM at WOT and cold start. If the previous owner did away with AIR, O2's and other things he more then likely had a tune to delete the codes and somebody probably played with the tuning. Going back to stock (since you have so few mods) is a cheaper choice, and getting a tune done by a shop is a little better choice (more power, and the corrected WOT and idle fueling) but is way more expensive. A stock tune will be a little off but nothing near risking hurting the motor even at WOT you'll be off by a few hundreths on your AF ratio, the PCM in our cars are pretty robust and will adapt to small changes. I'm pretty sure the guy before you had a tune and probably more mods that required more fuel and demodded the car back to near stock and didn't retune it.

Your AIR system is not required to pass an emissions test by any means, it just kicks your CATS up to temp by adding air to the exhaust. Once up to temp the AIR system shuts down and is no longer used. The only way it would matter is if you went to the emissions place with a cold car. Passing emissions with longtube headers will be somewhat of a challenge but has been done with near stock cars like yours. Make sure you let the car idle up to normal temp THEN take it there to be tested.
i already know long tube headers are illegal, the shop i took it to to get inspected didn't care, they just tested the emissions after i got everything put back on properly, and it passed.

before that i had to replace the o2 sensors, change the headers for the air pump, and add the air pump because the computer was throwing codes about them all. the original owner was a certified dumbass and i've spent a lot of money correcting all his little "ideas" that would never work in a million years. the tuning was, and still is stock, he never got it retuned for his few modifications, which is why it was throwing codes, the air system was never tuned out, it wasn't tuned to ignore o2 readings, etc.

anyway, an update. i've got the new pads and rotors installed and i discovered my front driver-side caliper had gone bad, so i replaced that but now i'm gonna have to repaint ALL of them back to yellow because one is grey and the rest are faded... annoying but better than screwed up braking.

my air lid also came and i got that hooked up properly to the air system, everything's running good for now. tuning and alignment are next, but i can't afford to do anymore for a few weeks.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of good LS1Tech help in this thread, that's what it's all about!

Think about everything has been covered, but one thing I would suggest if you plan on having the vehicle a while is getting a lifetime alignment that will pay for itself in two visits. I'm done paying for realignments on my GM vehicles that have both had alignment problems even from the factory or at least in the first 20K miles. There is nothing like paying $250 plus per tire to notice they are wearing unevenly.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Launching!

that's not a bad idea. and i plan on NEVER selling the car, all these repairs are for me, haha.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind you will need to pay whoever tunes your car at least for the credits to license your vehicle. Credits are not free for HP Tuners.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

ah.... what are credits? how does that work?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Credits are what you use to license a unique vin number when you're tuning. Vehicles typically take two credits at $50 each. Unless you have a license for a vehicle you cannot change any of the parameters in HP Tuners. You can look at it, but not modify.

Large tuning shops usually get an unlimited license for a year specific model. This costs six credits I think so they usually don't charge you for that but they get the money back from the tuning in the end.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i have a stock 2002 camaro and it can get squirrely sometimes with bumps and potholes, and I have stock 275/40-17 tires. You have 285's on the front and 315' in the rear, and these cars have solid rear axle so I would expect it to be even more squirrley.
Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
2. when i go over a bump or a pothole my car try's to turn in the direction it fell and i have to compensate. it would seem normal for any other car but my car and my old 98 trans am never did that before, the steering just seems less responsive and less tense than before.
I want to touch on these two issues.
Guys any kind of "squirlyness", "looseness", "floaty, disconnected feel", "choppy", "jarring", "snap-oversteer", "bouncy", "unsettled" is [assuming everything else stock is in fine working order] lack of shock dampening. The stock DeCarbon shocks on these cars aren't worth the ugly orange paint they put on them, and unfortunately cheapo replacement over the counter shocks aren't any better. As soon as the OP said he had his suspension replaced by pep boys, the first thing that came to my head was the crappy monroe shocks.
Unfortunately you can attribute most of your ride quality and handling issues to them. The slower steering is also a possible effect of the bad shock dampening, especially now that you have more unsprung weight (the bigger wheel/tires).
After replacing my not-so-worn-out "better (WS6) valved" Decarbons (40,000ish miles) with konis on otherwise stock suspension you wouldn't believe the difference. The ride quality improved ten fold (think creamy BMW like, firm but not jarring), the few interior rattles I had disappeared and the handling was unreal, I could push the car so hard on bump/shitty roads and it stuck like glue, and felt great doing so. Single best mod for these cars, period.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Credits are what you use to license a unique vin number when you're tuning. Vehicles typically take two credits at $50 each. Unless you have a license for a vehicle you cannot change any of the parameters in HP Tuners. You can look at it, but not modify.

Large tuning shops usually get an unlimited license for a year specific model. This costs six credits I think so they usually don't charge you for that but they get the money back from the tuning in the end.
This is true, however if you find someone with a model year unlocked already they will normaly do it for beer or a few bucks. Tuning a lightly modded car isn't really a black art. I tuned mine up well by just driving around on the street.

I'd just jump on a regional board and ask if someone can do it for you if they have an unlocked HP Tuners.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV

i have DEFINITELY considered a tune and have been looking for a place with a dyno nearby.
You have a PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Default Alignment Heads Up

I wanted to give you a heads up about an alignment; most companies still have old alignment machines that stay within the recommended parameters(in the green) this is ok for every day cars with tires that are more cupped or rounded on the edges, but todays high performance tires are more square and even though your alignment will be in the green your tires will still feather. Most dealerships have newer alignment machines that can be adjusted to the degree for pinpoint accuracy. If you take it to a place like PEP Boys that has an older machine it make take a few visits before they get it right.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how do you change the brake and power steering fluid.