General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start... is it the starter? help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Wrong. Works perfectly, done it a million times and so have hundreds of other people. Did it last month a couple times when my alternator was failing, no problems ever for the past 20 years doing it.

Where did you hear its not good...bad information.

Yes, its better to check it with a machine, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Actually, for like 20 years I would take the positive terminal off, but I was recently told its better to do the negative. After 20 years of doing it though, it makes no difference at all. I watched a hundred people that had bad batteries use someone elses battery to start the engine so they could get home or to a shop...after the engine is started they then diconnect that battery and give it back to the person who let them use it just for that start. Its been done to death.
Wow you really are gonna pick this one aren't ya. Let's see where i heard it o for starters I'm a graduate of UTI and i learned from some of the most respected people in the automotive industry,2nd I worked as a driveabilty and electrical Tech for Ford and have been to the ford schools for electrical. That is is one of the stupidest things you can do because of the huge voltage spike get. You can do whatever you feel like doing and screw up your hole computer system if you like but before you pass on stupid information you need to do your homework I don't give a **** if you've been doing it for 50 years I'm pretty sure that the combined years of the information i was being taught by is far longer than you have been around. You Might get away with it 100 times but the one time you don't you will thoroughly regret being an idiot and not listening to those who know better.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
I hear ya. But I've done it with my 1998 Trans Am for 11 years and I've watched countless other people do it with 1998+ cars, so it works just fine and I've never heard of any problems ever.

And if running an engine without a battery is really a bad thing, car manufacturers would make cars shut off immediately when batteries die, so these alleged "spikes" wouldn't hurt anything.

Either way, when something is done countless times without even the hint of an issues, with late model cars and old cars, and having seen it done countless times....that means its ok to do. If it was bad I would have seen these bad things happen by now.
If that is the way you see things you really are an idiot Ive been reading on this site for a couple of months and a member for a couple years it seems the people that need to take the advice seem to be the ones giving it if you don't know wtf your talking about dont say anything seems like a pretty simple concept to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Onemeanbird
Wow you really are gonna pick this one aren't ya. Let's see where i heard it o for starters I'm a graduate of UTI and i learned from some of the most respected people in the automotive industry,2nd I worked as a driveabilty and electrical Tech for Ford and have been to the ford schools for electrical. That is is one of the stupidest things you can do because of the huge voltage spike get. You can do whatever you feel like doing and screw up your hole computer system if you like but before you pass on stupid information you need to do your homework I don't give a **** if you've been doing it for 50 years I'm pretty sure that the combined years of the information i was being taught by is far longer than you have been around. You Might get away with it 100 times but the one time you don't you will thoroughly regret being an idiot and not listening to those who know better.
Ah yes an educated man that agrees with what I've said. Also a fellow UTI grad. What Campus did you go to? I was NTI Mooresville NC then Mercedes Elite Orlando.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

UTI Houston campus and then a few Ford schools in Dallas and New Orleans.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only real problem is the battery provides a load in the system, when you unhook the battery you will get a voltage spike because that load is no longer there, which can destroy the cars ecm

is it likely to happen? prob not unless you drive a cheap crappy car
can it happen? yes

some cars will even shut off if the battery is disconnected to prevent that from happening.

unless you want to turn your ac on, full blast, blast your radio with all of your lights on, i personally wouldnt do it

with that being said, you can almost all of the time diagnose a bad alternator or battery just by thinking for a bit what actually happened

ie: if you're driving down the street and your lights start to get dim and your car stalls all of a sudden, and it just click when you try and start it.. its most likely the alternator

if your car just randomly starts clicking when you try and start it one morning, its probably the battery

anyways, i have run computer controlled cars with no battery all of the time with no problems.. i dont do it very often though because of the extra load it puts on the alternator.. it can kill it pretty fast
Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

How bout this you can easily diagnosis just bout any electrical problem with the proper tools and know how. Get yourself a cheap volt meter and learn to use it battery and alternator problems are pretty easy to find out the correct way so you dont have to worry about well it might no **** up to bad.

Quick Reply: Car won't start... is it the starter? help