General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Seat Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Seat Motor

When I push the adjust buttons on the side of the power seats, I hear the motor make a noise, but nothing moves. Also, the drivers side seat will still go forward and back, but the other two adjustment switches won't work. Also, both seats make the same noise, and I may be crazy, but I swear when I hit the driver side switches, the motor noise comes from the passenger side. Thoughts? Links to address this issue?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by farmerjg
When I push the adjust buttons on the side of the power seats, I hear the motor make a noise, but nothing moves. Also, the drivers side seat will still go forward and back, but the other two adjustment switches won't work. Also, both seats make the same noise, and I may be crazy, but I swear when I hit the driver side switches, the motor noise comes from the passenger side. Thoughts? Links to address this issue?
are you sure the noise that come from both seats isn't the lumbar support?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Would that be any different? Driven with the same motor? It might be, but in addition to feeling no rise or fall in seat, I certainly don't feel any adjustment in the lumbar area. The only switch that works is the drivers side one that moves the seat forwards and backwards.

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
are you sure the noise that come from both seats isn't the lumbar support?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this ever resolved?
I'm having VERY similar issues with the TA seats I just installed in my Firebird.

As soon as I installed them, I tested the driver's side and it worked. Seat moved front back and lumbar support inflated/deflated. It did NOT move up or down though.

Got in car to move it, and seat still moved forward/backward, but no support, no up/down.
Passenger side inflates/deflates.

Clicking is heard whenever I push the driver's side buttons, but no movement.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either the motor is bad or the worm gear is seized. I would take the seat out and flip it upside down. Then jump 12v to the orange wire on the switch and black to neg. You should be able to see what's not going on.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Either the motor is bad or the worm gear is seized. I would take the seat out and flip it upside down. Then jump 12v to the orange wire on the switch and black to neg. You should be able to see what's not going on.
Can the motor be serviced? Or where can a replacement be found?
How do I jump the 12v to the switch? I don't want to mess anything up.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update.
Driver's side: Up/Down/Forward/Backward...no problems.
Lumbar/Bolster supports... not working. I hear what sounds like the motor trying to move on the passenger side.

Passenger's side: Bolster/Lumbar supports... work fine.

Any advice?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I thought the driver's seat didn't move up and down. The bolsters are a different problem.

The air pump for both sides is under the passenger seat. If you hear the pump, obviously there is a pneumatic problem. My guess is the lines are detached or leaking. Other possibility is the bladders are damaged. If both the seat back and sides both don't inflate, it's likely just the lines.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Update.
Driver's side: Up/Down/Forward/Backward...no problems.
Lumbar/Bolster supports... not working. I hear what sounds like the motor trying to move on the passenger side.

Passenger's side: Bolster/Lumbar supports... work fine.

Any advice?
I once had aproblem with my driver side lumbar/bolster. A tube underneath/behind the drivers side was disconnected. The tube led to the pump/motor underneath the passenger seat. Just follow any wire going from the passenger seat towards the drivers seat and you should find at least one that's not connected correctly.

When I had this problem, the driver side bolster/lumbar would actually make the passenger side bolster/lumbar inflate/deflate, as well as the passenger doing the same for the passenger.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

So it can be as simple as the tubing coming detached?

I'm assuming since the tubing runs under the carpet and under the center console, and is whole (no connections in between) that those should be good. So that narrows it down the connectors from under carpet to seats (both sides) and then from those to the pumps themselves?
So 3-4 connection points?
Sounds simple enough.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
So it can be as simple as the tubing coming detached?

I'm assuming since the tubing runs under the carpet and under the center console, and is whole (no connections in between) that those should be good. So that narrows it down the connectors from under carpet to seats (both sides) and then from those to the pumps themselves?
So 3-4 connection points?
Sounds simple enough.
For me it was that simple

Quick Reply: Power Seat Motor