General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tint remover.......we have a winner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Aircraft Paint Stripper doesn't smell hardly at all. It also has no intense toxic problems either like ammonia does.

WARNING:
YES...certainly do it outside, but I was laying on my back inside my back hatch area looking up at my glass while I was peeling off the pieces. Making sure to never look straight up at the tint in case a drop dripped off and into my eye. So just wear safety glasses or just stay off to the side when you're taking it off because its still a little bit wet when you peel it off.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Razor_back
This is the way we've done it for years (steamer). Much less messy and less stinky!
I doubt the steamer will work on tint as old as mine. A 500 degree heat gun did nothing to it, and that was after it soaked in ammonia for 2 hours. Maybe the steamer works on not-so-old tint.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warning !!!!!

that air craft stripper will eat plastic,i put some in a plastic pan to strip some metal and the plastic started to dissolve !!!!!!!! be careful.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by billyb
that air craft stripper will eat plastic,i put some in a plastic pan to strip some metal and the plastic started to dissolve !!!!!!!! be careful.
Yeah, it will, thats why its best to spray it on a rag, then dab it on. I did get a little on the plastic molding as I was dabbing it on, it maybe stayed there for about 2 minutes till I noticed it. It came off with no problems and it left no marks at all. But if it sits for 10 minutes, you're screwed. I like the way it works slowly and gives you time so you don't mess anything up if you do get some on the plastic.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Nothing that tint shops told me to do worked AT ALL.

I did the soaking thing in the sun with ammonia, nothing happened at all.

The defrosters are perfectly fine.

But remember, mine is very old and probably the worst case.
cool i just don't want to mess up the defrosters. thanks man
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Saving this
Thanx
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Banned

So, I'm all done. Took me about 1 hour today to finish. Didn't Windex it yet though.

Name:  DSC01725.jpg
Views: 6382
Size:  227.9 KB
Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

So, I was just looking for something to spray this **** on. My original 11 year-old WS6 high-polished aluminum rims are HORRIBLE. I'm looking into some nice Boze rims.

I had nothimg to lose really so I sprayed them. I did check one small spot first...and WOW!!!!!!! Let them sit for 15 minutes, then sprayed them down with the hose.

[/b]BEFORE doing this check to see what might happen to the aluminum later on, I HAVE NO IDEA....... I know the clear coat was completely eaten off by this paint stripper, but it was horrible and looked like *** anyway so I didn't care what happened.[/b]

I did eat the black paint off my "WS6" center caps...but I've got more.

BEFORE Those black spots all over wouldn't come off with anything, it was like black corrosion.

Name:  DSC01723.jpg
Views: 6398
Size:  105.1 KB

AFTER
Name:  DSC01726.jpg
Views: 6402
Size:  117.9 KB

And again, I do not know what the long-term effects of this stuff will be...I guess I'll report back in a week.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-06-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

so you used the aircraft stripper in the spray can? i was gonna use the paste, but if the spray can works that well ill just buy that instead
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wowsers
so you used the aircraft stripper in the spray can? i was gonna use the paste, but if the spray can works that well ill just buy that instead
Yes, the spray can. Its called "Klean-Rite". PepBoys is where I got mine. Blue, red and white can. $10.00.

And the sucker is still half full after doing my back glass and all 4 rims.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Launching!

has anyone tried this on tint yet that still has both layers? I really want the tint on my T/A gone.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

just take the tint off and use it on the glue thats left over. it takes about 10 seconds to rip the film off. i finished mine the other day and it couldnt have been easier
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I doubt the steamer will work on tint as old as mine. A 500 degree heat gun did nothing to it, and that was after it soaked in ammonia for 2 hours. Maybe the steamer works on not-so-old tint.
It'll work. I just retinted my GN who's tin was done by the dealer when it was new in 1987. You couldn't pull more than a dime size piece at a time off. Hit it with the steamer and pulled the entire piece off in one pull, glue and all. Heat gun justs reactivates the glue and makes a mess.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

it fell off like snow flakes in the middle of a beauitful winter day with a snowman smiling endlessly as kids iceskate on the frozen pond.
lol, such a vividly painted mental picture I'm gonna see if that stripper works on my rims.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Launching!

well I've got this crap marinating on my windows right now. We'll see what happens. The driver side was the only side where the tint layer came right off. The other door and hatch it seems like they were tinted over twice. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1greg
lol, such a vividly painted mental picture I'm gonna see if that stripper works on my rims.
After over a month of trying all kinds of **** and it was on there like cement, I was actually going to buy a new glass.....when it fell off with that paint stripper the way it did...thats all that came to mind

Looks like I have to polish my rims now, but just some basic quick polishing, it left a little haze on them. They're still 10 times better looking then they did though. But my rims were friggin disgustingly bad, like embarrassing bad. When I polish them a little I think they'll look brand new.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

So far this stuff has done jack ****. And it's been on there almost an hour. I even put another "coat" on and sprayed directly on the windows making sure I didn't get it anywhere else. This sucks. Now I've got a huge mess on my hands, and the tint is still on the window. Awesome.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
So far this stuff has done jack ****. And it's been on there almost an hour. I even put another "coat" on and sprayed directly on the windows making sure I didn't get it anywhere else. This sucks. Now I've got a huge mess on my hands, and the tint is still on the window. Awesome.
Did you pull the first layer of tint off? Like I said in the beginning, my first layer came off, it was the next layer that was on my glass like cement. It literally fell off after 20 minutes of soaking in the paint stripper, just touch it with my fingers.

If you have double layers of tint, thats ridiculous. You'll have to peel the top layers off. If you're "tinted over twice", don't know what to tell ya.

What kind of stripper are you using?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Also, look at my post #2...all the hazy looking **** you see on that piece of tint that is hanging down is the paint stripper, so I didn't even put that much on.

And I didn't spray it on, dabbed it on with a rag in litrle globs then I evened it out.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Launching!

On the driver window I was able to get all the "color" off. Even on that window it hasn't done much of anything except dry up and get kind of gummy. On the other windows the color is coming off but that's about it. I got off as much of it as I could. I have no idea how this car was tinted. The previous owner did it and probably screwed it up just like he screwed up the rest of the car.

I dabbed it on the first time just like you did and when it didn't do anything, I gave it a heaver coat by spraying it.

I called the guy that tinted our Subaru and he's going to get me some of the chemical he used. Now I just have to try and get all this **** off my windows so I can drive it over to him so he can take a look at it.

Quick Reply: Tint remover.......we have a winner.....