General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tint remover.......we have a winner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
On the driver window I was able to get all the "color" off. Even on that window it hasn't done much of anything except dry up and get kind of gummy. On the other windows the color is coming off but that's about it. I got off as much of it as I could. I have no idea how this car was tinted. The previous owner did it and probably screwed it up just like he screwed up the rest of the car.

I dabbed it on the first time just like you did and when it didn't do anything, I gave it a heaver coat by spraying it.

I called the guy that tinted our Subaru and he's going to get me some of the chemical he used. Now I just have to try and get all this **** off my windows so I can drive it over to him so he can take a look at it.
As bad as mine was before I found the paint stripper....if you're double tinted...HOLY HELL.

I wonder what he's gonna use because like I said I tried everything available except a blow torch before the paint stripper worked. Mine was on so hard that a razor blade would bend and almost break if I pushed hard enough and not budge the bottom layer of tint.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, we'll see what happens. It looks like it did a good job of getting most of the glue off the driver side. Still had to scrape it alot though.

I got the rest of the stripper off the other windows. The whole time color was coming off on the paper towels. Previous owner probably just used some cheap *** **** and that's why nothing is working how your did. Doesn't surprise me everthing else he did to this poor car was a hack job too.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

I dunno, we'll see what happens. It looks like it did a good job of getting most of the glue off the driver side. Still had to scrape it alot though.

I got the rest of the stripper off the other windows. The whole time color was coming off on the paper towels. Previous owner probably just used some cheap *** **** and that's why nothing is working how your did. Doesn't surprise me everthing else he did to this poor car was a hack job too.

Maybe cheaper tint (especially if its doubled up) won't even allow the top layer to come off in one piece, I don't know. But when you get that top layer off that stripper stuff will eat the bottom layer off easily.

Maybe your tint guy will have a steamer, I'm curious to see how it does.

Take a video/pics of it working if it does.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Launching!

I've got a wallpaper steamer, wonder how that would work. I might give it a shot tomorrow. I'm done screwing with it tonight.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

I've got a wallpaper steamer, wonder how that would work. I might give it a shot tomorrow. I'm done screwing with it tonight.
Its funny what we all think of to get **** done...I was thinking of all kinds of crazy **** to get my tint off I was so pissed off.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

I've used two different kinds. One is a dedicated tint removal steamer (works the best). It has a trigger that shoots compressed steam out and penetrates the tint. I've also used one that is for steam ironing clothes (works very well too). The wallpaper steamer probably will work just as well. If steam is not coming out very well, runs some diluted vinegar through it and it will clean the hard water deposits (calcium) and make it work better. Hope it works out for you!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a word of warning: Be careful spraying that stuff if you choose to go that route. It will literally burn your skin if some mist hits you and of course it will spot any paint that it touches. Chemical eye burns are not a good thing either. Dabbing it on is a good idea. I used it and it ate through nitrile rubber gloves in less than a minute and started burning my fingers lol
Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Just a word of warning: Be careful spraying that stuff if you choose to go that route. It will literally burn your skin if some mist hits you and of course it will spot any paint that it touches. Chemical eye burns are not a good thing either. Dabbing it on is a good idea. I used it and it ate through nitrile rubber gloves in less than a minute and started burning my fingers lol
Yeah, dabbing it on pretty much cures all those mishaps from happening. I didn't even use gloves when I took it off with the razor and my fingers. I did feel little burning sensations on my hands/fingers the whole time, but nothing at all that bothered me in the least. I did once have a glob fall off the rag and onto my forearm that I didn't know about, 5 seconds later as I started dabbing it on I felt it start to burn, pretty intensely, but the instant I wiped it off it stopped.

When I was done with everything my hands and fingers were dried out a little bit. Put some lotion on them and they were fine.

The eye, holy **** that would probably hurt like hell.

Dab it on and you can control the entire process, no drips, no splashes, nothing. My first time using it I got one drop on a piece of plastic interior which didn't even leave a mark after I wiped it off and that little bit on my forearm.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Launching!

I got some stuff called Tint-Off from the guy that did our Subaru. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to head to harbor freight tommorow and get a heat gun to try and release the tint layer from the glue layer.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

I got some stuff called Tint-Off from the guy that did our Subaru. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to head to harbor freight tommorow and get a heat gun to try and release the tint layer from the glue layer.
Whats the Tint-Off made of? Ingredients?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Launching!

No idea. Should have looked at the bottle. He just poured some from a gallon jug into a spray bottle for me. From the video's on the website, you just spray it, let it sit and it just comes off. We'll see........

http://www.tintoff.com
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

No idea. Should have looked at the bottle. He just poured some from a gallon jug into a spray bottle for me. From the video's on the website, you just spray it, let it sit and it just comes off. We'll see........

http://www.tintoff.com
Maybe its that undiluted ammonia that most tint shops use. Maybe it'll work, it didn't budge mine.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dropped some of that on my Oakley's and within 10 seconds it melted through them a little bit. It's stout stuff, but I love it. It works on about anything!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why wouldn't your defroster lines come off also-----I mean, if it is that strong....
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Why wouldn't your defroster lines come off also-----I mean, if it is that strong....
All my defroster lines are 100% perfect. Also, the black outlines around the outside of the glass and dots up at the top of the backglass are 100% perfect, absolutely no effect on either.

Defrosters aren't just bonded to the glass and those black dots and outline around the outside of the glass....they are baked on in the process when they make the glass.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS6427
All my defroster lines are 100% perfect. Also, the black outlines around the outside of the glass and dots up at the top of the backglass are 100% perfect, absolutely no effect on either.

Defrosters aren't just bonded to the glass and those black dots and outline around the outside of the glass....they are baked on in the process when they make the glass.
YEAH..on there for good..thanx...may try some..want mine Limo'd.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
YEAH..on there for good..thanx...may try some..want mine Limo'd.
The bullshit thing though.....I called a few tint places abotu having them taking my tint off when I couldn't find anything to work. They all said they'll take it off but they will definitely destroy my defrosters while they're scraping off the tint with the razor blade. The top layer of the defrosters will come off with a razor and the lines where they are bonded will remain.

Little do they all know, paint stripper works so damn good. I'm sure it'll slowly become the way to do it in the industry.

After that stuff sits on there, all you need it a plastic scrapper to peel it off, mostly just fell off in my hands. No need for the metal razor. It just lifted right off the defroster lines just like it came loose from the glass.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey LS6427, i couldn't find any info on the Klean-Rite on Pep boys site and we don't have pep boys in my area. Look at the can and see if it has a long number about 16 digits long, may be preceded my "NSN" or "FSN". Reason im asking is i'm an aircraft mechanic and i was going to look it up at work and get the skinny on what this stuff is, and check the MDS on it.

Thought everyone should know what kind of hazards this/these chemical(s) carries with it. And i might just be able to get a little from work for free also......

Last edited by sneaky7980; 03-18-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Hey LS6427, i couldn't find any info on the Klean-Rite on Pep boys site and i don't have we don't have pep boys in my area. Look at the can and see if it has a long number about 16 digets long, may be preceded my "NSN" or "FSN". Reason im asking is i'm an aircraft mechanic and i was going to look it up at work and get the skinny on what this stuff is, and check the MDS on it.

Thought everyone should know what kind of hazards this/these chemical(s) carries with it. And i might just be able to get a little from work for free also......
Sumbitch..sorry dude, just looked at the can...its called "Klean-Strip". Oops.

The second pic has the contents: Methanol and Methylene Chloride.

Product Number: EAR322 Nothing with "NSN" or "FSN".

And what the hell........Its says, "Do not use on aircraft"

Name:  DSC01730.jpg
Views: 3974
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  DSC01731.jpg
Views: 3919
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  DSC01731.jpg
Views: 3919
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  DSC01734.jpg
Views: 3912
Size:  55.2 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01731.jpg (67.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That aircraft paint stripper will melt plastic and carpet...so I would only do this if the glass was off the car.

Quick Reply: Tint remover.......we have a winner.....