General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tint remover.......we have a winner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
That aircraft paint stripper will melt plastic and carpet...so I would only do this if the glass was off the car.
It will only hurt the interior plastic if you literally spray it on a piece of plastic and let it sit for 5 minutes.

I did mine while the hatch glass was in the car, I dabbed it on with a rag which is the best way to do it. However.....I did get a couple drips from when I dabbed it on too thick and a few minutes later noticed a couple drips landed on my plastic interior about the size of a quarter, I wiped it off and it left absolutely no mark at all. Couple times it dripped onto my back seats and it also left no mark at all. Never got it on the carpet.

I would certainly recommend taping off the interior parts, but I didn't.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. . . . . .Good to know. I thought paint striper would work. But, this seems to work quite well.

My door tint needs to go, one has a dime sized hole and the other decided to start peeling.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
Cool. . . . . .Good to know. I thought paint striper would work. But, this seems to work quite well.

My door tint needs to go, one has a dime sized hole and the other decided to start peeling.
I might do my door glasses tomorrow. You can't let any of the paint stripper slide down the window and get in there while its sitting on the tint eating it up.

Maybe the best thing is to NOT use the paint stripper for like the bottom 2-3 inches of the glass from that felt rubber strip upward. Just tape it off along with the strip and door panel. Then just razor that 2-3 inches off to make sure none falls down in there.

Becauae when you get the new tint put on, if you are getting new tint, any of that **** still down in there could get on the new tint and haze it or burn it.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been thinking about getting my windows tinted. But I know someday it will start to peel, or get nicks in it. So I probably won't mess with it.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
I have been thinking about getting my windows tinted. But I know someday it will start to peel, or get nicks in it. So I probably won't mess with it.
Mine lasted 10 years. Its pretty durable stuff.

Just get it done by a place that offers a lifetime warranty for peeling. Thats what I'm doing on monday, Tint World. Let them worry about and retint in the future.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

The Tint-off stuff has worked very well so far. I've got the passenger side glass off and have been working on the rear. With this stuff, you need to keep it wet. Once it dries, the glue hardens again. Doesn't have a nasty smell to it at all. Might have a tiny bit of ammonia in it but I'm not sure. Smells more like dish washing liquid if anything.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I tore into mine yesterday, pulled the tint off both doors. It came off pretty damn well, except for the glue.

I was goint to buy the hard core **** from VatoZone, but I decied to try using brake cleaner along with a razor blade - It worked pretty damn well.

I got both windows 99% spotless in under 3 hours. But, my tint was only about a year and a half old.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420

I got both windows 99% spotless in under 3 hours. But, my tint was only about a year and a half old.
Yea, I tried brake cleaner on mine, and it did nothing. I guess time is the factor.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yea, I tried brake cleaner on mine, and it did nothing. I guess time is the factor.

It really is, the glue on my windows was still chewy.

I remember I had one window tinted on my 76' camaro(yes one window).

This crap was hard as a rock, I just sat there for hours scrapping this rock hard glue **** with a razor blade. Nothing would dissolve it at all.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Launching!

WALLPAPER STEAMER FTMFW!!!

This worked awesome!! Just held it up to the tint, gave it a minute or so to work and it came right off!!! Now I just have to try and get the mess cleaned up that the other 2 things I tried made.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
WALLPAPER STEAMER FTMFW!!!

This worked awesome!! Just held it up to the tint, gave it a minute or so to work and it came right off!!! Now I just have to try and get the mess cleaned up that the other 2 things I tried made.
Cool, you found something. Tint is one thing for sure....a pain in the ***.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my cousin went to strip the tint off of one of his old cars, he used Ronsonol (Zippo lighter fluid).....his tint was to the point where it was peeling off in only 2-inch square (or smaller) pieces. he just took off as much of the actual film off as he could, then wiped the rest of it down with paper towels soaked with Ronsonol, and it cleaned all the glue off as easy as cleaning the windows with Windex.

that may or may not help everyone, though....there are different types/brands of tint, not all tint is made equal....so what works on one type/brand of tint may not necessarily work on another.....
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the huge bump but.... this may save someone $10 bucks in the future.

My brother bought this for Dodge Stealth Rear Window. The black film was off but the purple film (glue) was still on the window. We sprayed some on a rag and covered the window in it. It didn't peel off like the OP's. It came off in super tiny pieces with a razor blade. We broke almost all of the defoggers. He's not worried about it though since it's only a Summer car.

Just a heads up...
Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Removing second layer of Tint

Hi,
I have honda 2002 accord and tried to remove the rear window tint. First layer came off very quick when i had soaked the window with soap solution and garbage bag. But, the second layer is being a pain.

I bought below item from menards as per the forum's suggestion. This doesnt help either... any suggestions?

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/cleaners-thinners-removers/paint-stain-removers/solvent-based/rust-oleum-aircraft-remover/p-1963198-c-8159.htm

Originally Posted by LS6427
edit: also, just so you all know: My top layer of tint came right off almost in one giant piece about a month ago. I thought I was the luckiest guy in the world. Then I realized the bottom layer was still there, I had no idea tint had two layers. So the bottom layer is the one that is on there like cement.

Trying to scrap it off with a razor literally would cause the razor to bend or it just wouldn't move at all.
After the paint stripper it came off like it wasn't even attached, just with with my fingers.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Default second layer tint

Hi,
I have honda 2002 accord and tried to remove the rear window tint. First layer came off very quick when i had soaked the window with soap solution and garbage bag. But, the second layer is being a pain.

I bought below item from menards as per the forum's suggestion. This doesnt help either... any suggestions?

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/cleaners-thinners-removers/paint-stain-removers/solvent-based/rust-oleum-aircraft-remover/p-1963198-c-8159.htm
Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Old post, but wanted to say thanks for this post and method. Worked like a charm!

25 year old tint on an firebird came off like nothing. Even easier since I had the hatch off the car :-)
Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeadHunter
Old post, but wanted to say thanks for this post and method. Worked like a charm!

25 year old tint on an firebird came off like nothing. Even easier since I had the hatch off the car :-)
Yup......I just had my tint redone on my car. The tint shop, Tint World, still uses the old methods. They never heard of using paint stripper. I would think after all these years this idea would have caught on everywhere.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 PM

Thumbs up Really Works and no affect on rear defroster

I knew I had to find an easier way to remove the window tint from my 1997 RAV4. I thought of paint stripper but was afraid that the solvents in it might ruin the integrity of the adhesive used on the rear glass for the wires on the defogger. I took a break and came inside to do a little more research on the subject, and came across this post. I had a can of Aircraft Stripper in my cabinet that was left over from a previous project. I decided to give it a try, spraying about a 1 foot square section of the rear glass. I was a little impatient, so I tried a little scraping after about 5 minutes but wasn't very impressed. I then sprayed the entire glass with a heavy coat and after about 10 minutes, although the film didn't fall off, it was easily scraped off using a Bondo trowel. There were some small stubborn areas, in the middle and especially around the perimeter so it was necessary to repeat some spot applications here and there, then follow up with a little razor blade scraping. I must say that I thought I had quite a job ahead of me, but using this method made it much faster and very tolerable.

Thank you for the idea,
Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by magnamatters
I knew I had to find an easier way to remove the window tint from my 1997 RAV4. I thought of paint stripper but was afraid that the solvents in it might ruin the integrity of the adhesive used on the rear glass for the wires on the defogger. I took a break and came inside to do a little more research on the subject, and came across this post. I had a can of Aircraft Stripper in my cabinet that was left over from a previous project. I decided to give it a try, spraying about a 1 foot square section of the rear glass. I was a little impatient, so I tried a little scraping after about 5 minutes but wasn't very impressed. I then sprayed the entire glass with a heavy coat and after about 10 minutes, although the film didn't fall off, it was easily scraped off using a Bondo trowel. There were some small stubborn areas, in the middle and especially around the perimeter so it was necessary to repeat some spot applications here and there, then follow up with a little razor blade scraping. I must say that I thought I had quite a job ahead of me, but using this method made it much faster and very tolerable.

Thank you for the idea,
Cool.....like you see in my pictures....gravity pulled almost all of it off. I guess tint glue works in different ways.

Quick Reply: Tint remover.......we have a winner.....