General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009 | 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not lighting anymore? Bad bulb or socket. My guess is socket, common issue with these cars. It isn't too much power or anything if it was you'd be blowing up a bunch of stuff,not just a failed bulb

You can find replacement sockets at autozone, advance auto, etc.. just look in the aisle for a standard GM socket. It won't have colored wires on it so you'll have to make sure to connect it correctly. I just did 1 wire at a time so I wouldn't get them mixed up. I had to replace both my front sockets on my Camaro recently.
Any idea where I can find a write up? I know u just take it out and ****, but how do u get the wires out of the other socket and into the new one? Not too good with electrical as u can see.
Old 03-09-2009 | 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't pull them out of the socket, cut and splice. Crimp barrels make that easy if you have a crimp tool. That stuff is usually in the same aisle as the sockets are. Then use electrical tape to seal up the connections.
Old 03-10-2009 | 05:40 AM
Launching!

Is it because these sockets collect a **** load of water that they go bad all the time? Cuz when I first changed the bulb, it felt like someone was pissing down my arm there was so much water coming out of that bitch.
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah pretty much. Birds have the socket facing upwards so any water that gets in the housing ends up in the socket and ruins it over time. Camaros have the socket facing downwards so the heat of the bulb slowly cooks the socket over time.

You might want to look and see if you have any cracks in your lenses that are letting water in.
Old 03-10-2009 | 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yeah pretty much. Birds have the socket facing upwards so any water that gets in the housing ends up in the socket and ruins it over time. Camaros have the socket facing downwards so the heat of the bulb slowly cooks the socket over time.

You might want to look and see if you have any cracks in your lenses that are letting water in.
I don't think they are cracked so much as a shitload of condensation building up over time. To my knowldge, they've never been touched. I'll be sure to check it out this weekend though.
Old 03-10-2009 | 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tried posting on one of the local forums in the lejeune area? Try posting on www.rwhp.us and im sure one of the local guys wouldnt mind coming to look at it. I have a guy that can fix it if you want his number. I would come look at it but im in TN visiting family. good luck with the problem, oh and what does your car look like? I might have seen it around
Old 03-10-2009 | 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Have you tried posting on one of the local forums in the lejeune area? Try posting on www.rwhp.us and im sure one of the local guys wouldnt mind coming to look at it. I have a guy that can fix it if you want his number. I would come look at it but im in TN visiting family. good luck with the problem, oh and what does your car look like? I might have seen it around
I was the guy in the auto hobby shop with the NBM T/A last thursday doing an oil change. I think you were giving a few guys a hand on a header install on a Mustang GT.
Old 03-10-2009 | 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I had this same problem with my 02 ta, the plugs were severly corroded. I had to spray electronic cleaner and cover the bulb bases with dielectric grease.
Old 03-10-2009 | 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TKTMAGNT
I had this same problem with my 02 ta, the plugs were severly corroded. I had to spray electronic cleaner and cover the bulb bases with dielectric grease.
Yea, the bases of the bulbs have dielectric grease on them. Where u get the cleaner from? Gonna try that tomorrow after work plus I need more grease anyways. If that doesn't work I'll work with the sockets.
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:08 PM
On The Tree

advance has it, should be by the carb cleaner area
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks man.
Old 03-11-2009 | 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

get new sockets. no crimping involved. do a search
Old 03-13-2009 | 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
I was the guy in the auto hobby shop with the NBM T/A last thursday doing an oil change. I think you were giving a few guys a hand on a header install on a Mustang GT.
Yeah that was me, and btw nice car! if you still havent fixed it by the time I get back in NC, Ill shoot you a pm. The mustang sounds good now...lol for a mustang
Old 03-13-2009 | 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Yeah that was me, and btw nice car! if you still havent fixed it by the time I get back in NC, Ill shoot you a pm. The mustang sounds good now...lol for a mustang
I'm going to replace the left socket tomorrow so hopefully it solves the problem. And yea, Mustangs, what a joke lol. There are a few Cobras on base though. That's the only one I'd ever consider.
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:43 PM
Launching!

Ok, just replaced the left socket and the signal works now! WOOHOO!!! Now I've got to curse like a sailor again to replace the right one. I can now see where there is a small crack running on the face of each of the housings on the lense. That'll be a project for next week to see if I can epoxy them up to seal them. I'll be back in a bit when I finish the right one. Wish me luck.
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:47 PM
Launching!

GREAT SUCCESS!!! So both now work. It was kind of a bitch with how small of an area there is to work with but it's done and now they both work. So hopefully they will hold out until I decide to mess with the housing assemblies. Thanks for everyone's help and advice with diagnosing this issue.

Quick Reply: turn signals not working