General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tail light-Full of Water

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Tail light-Full of Water

My passenger tail light always fills up with water. I actually already purchased a new passenger tail light because my previous one had a crack on the top, so I thought that is why water filled up in it. But now, I have the new passenger tail light in and now it's filled with water, but no visable cracks.

Anybody else's tail light do this? Is it more of a rubber molding issue? How can I get the water out of the light? All the chrome in back up light is all gone. Moisture got in there and there went the chrome!

HELP!
Old 03-10-2009 | 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

I had this problem but the first one was cracked, so I bought a new one and it was completely fixed. You can try filling the new one up with water completely and seeing where water leaks out to see if there is a crack. If not, dry it out really good and bolt it to the car really tight. All I can think of.
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

thanks!
Old 03-11-2009 | 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you are sure you don't have a crack anywhere in the physical outer plastic portions of the lense, then you are more than likely suffering a fate similiar to my lenses. In a nut shell, there is a black, almost tar-like seal of hardened goo that is supposed to seal the rear facing lense to the actual light assembly. Often, the seal brakes or was never truly "sealed" from the factory. Mine had a small pin hole that allowed water to creep in, over time. I had to remove the tail light from the car.. carefully remove the outer facing plastic lense from the rear tail light assembly.. clean and dry the internal portion of the lense.. re-mount the lense and reseal with some clear silicone sealant (purchased from Home Depot). That completely solved my problem. I know there is an article somewhere that describes tail light "delamination" that was problematic for the 93-97 tail lights. That is the article that I found where it gives a step by step tutorial described above.