General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

repair kit for the alternator of 2000 LS1 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default repair kit for the alternator of 2000 LS1 camaro?

is there a GM kit available to repair the alternator of my 2000 LS1 camaro? or even rebuild it?

my alternator is dead and not charging so the car will die and there is no electricity in the car.

where can i get such a kit?

and

what steps i need to do to repair the alternator?

thanks.
Old 03-21-2009 | 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

I know this is not a real answer for your question. But, here goes.

Rebuilding an alternator yourself seems like a unesessary pain. Local part store rebuilds are are POS.

The only alternators I have seen people have good luck with is true amp upgrades. They cost quite a bit more, but seem to be worth the money compared to the pain from others.
Old 03-21-2009 | 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

While I would currently prefer to replace my alternator, I have rebuilt one in the past. I purchased a set of brushes, cleaned the grooves on the (stator?) where the brushes ride, repacked the bearings, and it worked for the last 20k miles that I owned the vehicle. It was still working for the next owner until he totaled it.
Summit carries one, but they don't say what models of vehicles it fits, just that it fits a GM 12si model alternator.
Old 03-21-2009 | 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samson_420
I know this is not a real answer for your question. But, here goes.

Rebuilding an alternator yourself seems like a unesessary pain. Local part store rebuilds are are POS.

The only alternators I have seen people have good luck with is true amp upgrades. They cost quite a bit more, but seem to be worth the money compared to the pain from others.
amp upgrade for alternators is a good thing, do you mean they replace some parts in the alternator and that will raise the amp of the alternator?

Last edited by Abdullah; 03-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2009 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
While I would currently prefer to replace my alternator, I have rebuilt one in the past. I purchased a set of brushes, cleaned the grooves on the (stator?) where the brushes ride, repacked the bearings, and it worked for the last 20k miles that I owned the vehicle. It was still working for the next owner until he totaled it.
Summit carries one, but they don't say what models of vehicles it fits, just that it fits a GM 12si model alternator.
thanks, that will help me.

what is the model name of my alternator in my 2000 LS1 camaro?
Old 03-21-2009 | 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think i might found the model name of the alternator in my 2000 LS1 camro i think it is called CS130D but i have to research more to be sure of that.

Quick Reply: repair kit for the alternator of 2000 LS1 camaro?