General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Waterpump?

Sometimes when I start up I hear this really loud whine and it eventually goes away when I rev it up. Everytime I open my hood I smell coolant but can't find any leaks. Also I noticed the dipstick in the reservior is caked in a rust colored crust. Apparently it looks like the guy that had it last just filled it up and didn't flush the radiator.

I just bought my car used so it has the extended warranty...will my warranty cover this? I have a feeling they won't replace my water pump unless it spews crap all over the engine bay, until it actually goes bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oh and I have a performance lid on...should I replace it w/ the stock one when taking it in or should I not worry about it?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Bad Waterpump?

I just read a post here not too long ago describing a leak that developed in the back of a water pump in the seals that was so small you couldn't find a leak but it was forming small drips on the K-member. You could smell coolant when you open the hood but can find no leak as you describe. FWIW, mine does it too, sometimes. Maybe it's time for some work.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

The "crust" in the resevoir is normal. I've cleaned and flushed mine before and over time it ends up like that.

If you have a leak, look underneath the motor between the block and the back of the waterpump. I had a leak awhile back, and I thought it was the pump so I bought a new one. Then I found out it was just the gasket.

new gaskets = $5

new waterpump = $150

Take your pick.

Not to patronize you but, are you sure the "whine" isn't the A.I.R. pump?
Old 10-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Teching In

LOL Patronize me all you want I'm a newbie so I deserve it.

Is that what the AIR pump is supposed to sound like? It doesn't do it on a constant basis only on different occasions, hadn't done it in a couple days. Whats it do?
Old 10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

I was just taking a guessing.

The A.I.R. system warms up the cats on start up. The pump makes a whining sound for a bit then shuts off. It does this on every startup though.

Is it really loud and noticeable?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Loud enough to where if you were sitting in your car and you opened your door you'd have to speak up for the person in the passenger seat to hear you.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Launching!

$150 for water pump?? I got hosed hehe, Dealer charged me $800 for water pump plus labor though. However now has a lifetime warranty with GM so if it messes up again, replace is free.

I didn't notice mine messing up until I put her on the dyno. Was leaking from the back seal.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

$800!!!

I bought a new one for $150 shipped, and it came with 2 new gaskets. I installed it myself. It only takes about 30-45 minutes.

So in other words... You got chrged $800 to fix a leaky gasket??? I realize you got a new pump. But was it really needed? I doubt it.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Loud enough to where if you were sitting in your car and you opened your door you'd have to speak up for the person in the passenger seat to hear you.
That don't sound right. Can you describe the sound any better? And if possible, the area of the engine bay it seems to be coming from?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid 276.00 dollars for my water pump through my local dealer