General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

CD player error code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CD player error code?

Hi,

Has anyone gotten a "E20" error message when there cd player stops working. When I hit a bump in the road the cd player stops and gives me this code and won't work again until I turn off the car and the radio and then soemtimes it works again. Any help would be apprecitated. Is my cd player toast?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E20 is a focus error.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW - CLICK.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info,

Is this a common problem, only have 86,000 miles on the TA. I have used a brand new disc and it will still give code on first bump in road. Is it possible to fix it myself? Is it worth servicing or just replacing?

Thanks much
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, I think these stock radios are junk (as far as reliability). I will admit, however, that the F-body Monsoon radio systems DO sound good for factory set-up. I have an '07 G6 GTP with the sun & sound package that doesn't even compare to the sound of my 2000 T/A.

As far as actual reliablility, these radios are junk. They just don't last. I'd search a lot for do-it-yourself repairs, but if you don't mind spending the money, your best bet would be to buy an aftermarket or look for a used stock radio on eBay. The dealer wanted over $900 for an AC Delco factory 12-disc changer for the f-bodies. I picked up a used one in great condition for $185 on eBay.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Well I just have the single disc cd changer, your right you can get them cheaper off ebay and I have seen them. Is it really worth buying another used one I am wondering because I don't want the same issue again. So you think just buying something aftermarket and fitting it in is the way to go? How often have you heard of this head units going bad? I think my speakers are going bad too urrggg.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the only reason I bought a stock one was because I have a Firehawk, and I didn't want to go hacking around and not having my steering control work, or not having it fit right. Basically, I wanted the stock look.

But if you want a good radio, I'd go aftermarket. I used to be in the radio/sound business, but not anymore, so I can't recommend a brand to you.

I sent you a PM by the way...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, you could try a CD cleaner. I had the player in my '97 go out and had to get a new one. If it goes out completely replace it with something else.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Sort of on topic, I had a home CD player that wouldn't play cds, I opened it up and the lens had fallen out. I used a tiny little dab of superglue to glue it back into place and it works fine. If you are up for taking your radio apart you could try checking the lens to see if it is loose.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula413
Sort of on topic, I had a home CD player that wouldn't play cds, I opened it up and the lens had fallen out. I used a tiny little dab of superglue to glue it back into place and it works fine. If you are up for taking your radio apart you could try checking the lens to see if it is loose.
WOW!! I tried that with an old Sony... not so much. You must've glued it in the EXACT calibrated position. Out of curiosity, what kind was it?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Optimus. The lens sits in a little cup so there's only one way it can go in.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replys,

I don't know if a cd cleaner would work? Are you talking about cleaning the cd before putting it in? I had gotten a E20 error with a brand new cd.

What years was the same Moonsoon radio used on the Ws6s, anyone know?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by freshduckie
I don't know if a cd cleaner would work? Are you talking about cleaning the cd before putting it in?
A CD cleaner is like a blank CD that has a little brush on it. You put a little drop of cleaner on the brush and when you insert the CD it walks you through a couple steps and cleans the laser eye pickup. Get one at Radio Shack or similar store.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Ok I will try the cd cleaner, thanks

Quick Reply: CD player error code?