General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sound On Deceleration HELP WANTED

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound On Deceleration HELP WANTED

My question for you guys is regarding a weird sound when I let of the gas. Its like a chatter/clapping/tick/slapping or like a really messed up blowoff valve( I cant really explain it) when I switch gears or just release gas at a higher RPM. When just revving in neutral the sound still proceeds. The sound happens regardless of in gear or clutch engaged which to me eliminates the possibility of drive-line. Also happens when moving or at a stop. Background on the car. Just purchased from a female driver (Ouch) It has full exhaust, 4.10, intake, minor stuff. I just rebuilt my T-56 and put in an LS7 clutch pressure plate assembly including flywheel, throw-out bearing, slave-cylinder and pilot bearing. The sound was there before and after repair. My SES codes are for MAF and Generator circuit. The sound is pretty annoying and I really would like to get rid of it, so I am here asking the experts. If you guys have any advice or previous experience with this type of noise let me know please. I am a broke auto-tech student who really cant afford a mechanic. I do my own work so let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your air intake system - especially the rubber "boots" near the MAF - sounds like a pin-hole air leak.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 AM
Teching In

It doesn't sound like an air leak. Sounds mechanical. Sounds like if your pouring out a large bag of coins. It seems like its a Spinning sound thats slowing down. Its really hard to explain. I will see if I can get a recording of it and post it as a sound clip
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

...bad tranny or engine mount or perhaps a bad u-joint.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Just rebuilt transmission. Plus it makes sound when not in gear or regardless of clutch position. That means the transmission output shaft is not spinning so the U-joint will not be spinning either so it cant be making the noise. My motor mounts are fairly new, and looked good while I was pulling the transmission less than a month ago. Can it be a pulley or some kind of bad bearing or valve? This sound will be the death of me.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your car moving when it makes the sound. If it is moving then your driveshaft will be turning cause your wheels are turning. I would say with the 4.10's it could be your rearend possibly gear backlash or maybe your pinion spacing isn't set just right...Trust my rearend was making a noise after I put new gears in it turns out that my pinion was .002 off and it led to a rebuild after less than 1000 miles so I might check that hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks Big Bird appreciate the help. But unfortunately it happens when car is stopped as well and with clutch engaged, so nothing behind transmission is spinning. I think my backlash is off but there is a separate sound from that problem. This one is way more annoying. Even when at a light revving, on the deccel. it makes the noise. I am leaning toward valves out of adjustment.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may very well be your valves or bent/broke pushrod I sure hope it isn't but anything is possible if your drivetrain isn't rotating at all and the noise is still there then it has to be engine related...but could it be an exhaust leak maybe from your exhast manifolds or do you have headers it also could be your exhaust pipe vibrating or something. I would have your car running and take a long screwdriver or dowel rod and place it on your valve covers and see if it comes from there if not check each exhaust connection using same method when you find it you will know it then go from there good luck dude.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I may be waaaaay off base but what about the PCV valve?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks BigBird, I will check that out later today. I do have Long tubes that I will check out. Cross your fingers for me that its not a valve because that would really suck. And for the post below, its a new PCV but thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I found paperwork from the previous owner. It says the car has after-market push-rods. Not sure why just the push-rods where changed, but do you think it could have something to do with the sound?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Ever figure this out? My car is doing the exact same thing.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Launching!

I would check the pullies and lifters.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

This is the sound it is making. This isn't my car, I have the magnaflow catback but the exact same sound.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPloudmout...r_stockWS6.wav
Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I can't see the vid, you sure it's not exhaust rasp?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Its only a sound clip but I wouldn't think exhaust rasp. It only does it when off the gas and it sounds like it is coming from under the car. I gutted my cats awhile back and thought that maybe something got stuck in the crushed y-pipe but haven't taken it down to look.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well from what the majority of this thread is describing it sounds like Rasp..lol.

I saw it mentioned up there..there really is no way to get the Valves "out of adjustment" on a LS1.

If it is rasp then this has to be the longest thread on it..lol

Here's how you get rid of it..

Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 AM

Subscribed. Mine does the exact same thing but only in fourth gear lol.

Quick Reply: Sound On Deceleration HELP WANTED