General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

*Read* Clean Your MAF Sensor for Smoother Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default *Read* Clean Your MAF Sensor for Smoother Idle

Yes, Your MAF can get dirty from the oil on a K/N air filter. I would always over oil the filter and as weeks would go by dirt would build and mine idle would get roughter and could really lean out the car. Those little sensors read the incoming air coming in from the filter and then tell the computer how much fuel to deliver to the engine which could be lean or rich. I know what I am talking about, cause I dynoed mine before being dirty MAF then After clean MAF..( from 13.5 Air fuel ratio to 12.5 air fuel ratio) a whole point. Granted everything else was up to date clean injectors, plugs fuel filter etc.

When cleaning, you can use MAF cleaner at auto store or I used rubbing alcohol with q-tip. Be very careful not to damage those little sensors or you will have to get a new MAF
Just disassemble the MAF from air lid, then MAF housing until u have the MAF Sensor. AGAIN BE VERY CARE FUL NOT TO DAMAGE THOSE LITTLE WIRES INSIDE.

When all other maintenance is done new plus clean fuel injectors, fuel filter etc this will make a diffrence in your idle. Mine was smooth no more up and down idle during cold start ups. Cleaning your MAF can also help richen your Air fuel Ratio by a whole point.

I hope this helps you guys who are having Idle problems and A/F ratio problems.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would also like to add, i had an odd problem where driving 1/2 throttle or less, the car would "stumble" and lose power a bit between 2k-3k, once i cleaned the maf it runs perfect again. dont overlook the easy stuff!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you clean your maf? like what do you use?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zerokube
How do you clean your maf? like what do you use?
you can buy some maf cleaner at any auto store.

this is why i don't use k&n and their oily filters, gets old having to clean your maf all the time even if there isn't much of the oil **** on your filter. i stick to paper filters and my car runs just the same only i never have to clean the maf or worry about all that junk getting into the motor
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Check out CRC Chemicals Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, they sell it at most auto parts stores. It's designed specifically for cleaning MAFs, as you could probably guess by the name. It's what I use and seems to work fine.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

^ Same here, I always use the CRC. . . . It's like choke cleaner, but leaves no resedue.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

such a ridiculous thread you admitted over oiling filter well what do u expect
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

even regular amounts of oil on your K&N can cause this. If you dont have anything constructive, don't post...
The following users liked this post:
OddJack (Yesterday)
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Many don't know that you're only supposed to oil the BOTTOM of the K&N. It'll soak through fine. Make sure you let it dry for at least 4-5 hours before running the car again. I've never had a problem after reoiling my K&N, even when giving the top a very thin coating of oil.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool stock mass air fuel pic

Hey I was wondering if anybody had a picture of a stock 2000 z28 mass air fuel assembly, or if you knew where I could see one
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to start a **** storm, because I don't argue this point amymore.....but why don't you K&N users give up that ridiculous K&N filter, give up that .01 hp you think you're picking up from using it because it allows more air flow, which means more DIRT into your engine...which means more ring wear every time you drive your car.....and just use paper filters. And hey, never a dirty MAF from that oil crap on the filter.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Not to start a **** storm, because I don't argue this point amymore

sounds like you do still argue the point.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
Not to start a **** storm, because I don't argue this point amymore

sounds like you do still argue the point.
Thats not "argument", its a flat out statement of fact. It can't be argued with, not intelligently anyway. Thats why I don't argue the point anymore, I would be arguing with the less intelligent.

Good day.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

I've K&N FIPK, gee I guess a paper filter won't work! I've used K&N for longer than most here have owned their cars or been alive, K&N filters work period! I have never had a MAF get dirty to the point it effects performance. No you don't soak them in oil!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Problem is, most people with a K&N clean it to frequently. Also most do think the more oil the better. They actually work best when they are dirty. Not packed with crud, but they don't need cleaned every 1000 miles either. A light coat of oil is plenty. I always let mine set overnight as well.

Mine has been on my car since 01'. I clean it about every 6 months. It's already paid for itself and i've never had a maf problem. Most of the time it's user error...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Problem is, most people with a K&N clean it to frequently. Also most do think the more oil the better. They actually work best when they are dirty. Not packed with crud, but they don't need cleaned every 1000 miles either. A light coat of oil is plenty. I always let mine set overnight as well.

Mine has been on my car since 01'. I clean it about every 6 months. It's already paid for itself and i've never had a maf problem. Most of the time it's user error...
I'll second that!

Quick Reply: *Read* Clean Your MAF Sensor for Smoother Idle