General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??

i have a 1995 trans am with a wing and the prop rods mounts on the hatch have started squeaking. i thought it was just the left side but so i took it off then i noticed the other side moving in and out of the mount spot. is it suppose to move and has anyone had this problem?? what did you do to fix it? thanks any help very appricated!!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who has squeaky hatch struts in his Blazer. Mine don't do this yet. It happens in some cars.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

swap the hatch supports out or trying greasing the piston.

i paid $30 for a pair of hatch supports from advance auto
Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANSAM/FORMULA
i have a 1995 trans am with a wing and the prop rods mounts on the hatch have started squeaking. i thought it was just the left side but so i took it off then i noticed the other side moving in and out of the mount spot. is it suppose to move and has anyone had this problem?? what did you do to fix it? thanks any help very appricated!!
13 years, you're ready for new ones. But maybe they can be greased.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

the pistons are fine but the mount on the hatch where the rod is attached. that's what's moving up and down. is it suppose to be solid? it's like the fiberglass has broke at that spot or something. i had a couple of apline 12" in there but not sure if that enough to push the hatch and break the mounts?? werid? i will get some pics tomorrow and post them.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

so here are the pics and all i am doing and pushing the hatch all the way up and then letting it back down. basically tension and no tension. wtf? is it suppose to do that?
Attached Thumbnails HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??-mvc-008s.jpg   HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??-mvc-005s.jpg   HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??-mvc-006s.jpg   HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??-mvc-007s.jpg  
Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont get what your trying to prove....

are you saying that the shoulder socket is loose? if so, it looks like you can remove the hatch support, fit a deep socket over it and tighten the mount
Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

the mount is moving up and down in the hatch and i do not know if it is broke or is it some kinda suspension for the hatch. if you look in the first two photos you can see that the mount is fully out and has a 2-3 inch gap from the rod to the hatch. the other 2 photos you can see that it is closer only 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap. the mount is moving up and down causing it to squeak badly.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by slayerized6

are you saying that the shoulder socket is loose? if so, it looks like you can remove the hatch support, fit a deep socket over it and tighten the mount
Yeah, this is what you need to do.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

it's not the ball joint mount. i double check it just in case. it's screwed in all the way. the part that holds it is moving in and out of my hatch. anyone have any pics of it that could post? i was thinking about using a two part epoxy and glueing it so it wouldn't move. it's almost a perfect circle though maybe it is suppose to be like that. unfornuately all my friend drive imports (****) so i can't look at theirs.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just took a look at my hatch supports.......i recognzied that the gap between the hatch support itself and the interior paneling was about an inch greater on the DS. maybe thats just factory

im telling you, your not gunna hear squeeking from that loose part. just swap out the hatch struts and probem solved
Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

is it a solid mount or does it move? i will get some props soon and see but usually you don't replace those till they stop holding the trunk up.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it a solid mount or does it move? i will get some props soon and see but usually you don't replace those till they stop holding the trunk up.
......or of they start squeeking.

the mounts on my hatch are SOLID and dont move. however, it looks like you could throw a deep socket over the ball and tighten down the base
Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine got real weak, we picked up a set of new ones from napa...dont remember the price but i know it was under a 100$.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

the mounts on my hatch are SOLID and dont move. however, it looks like you could throw a deep socket over the ball and tighten down the base
thanks for the info mine are definetly not SOLID they move in and out about 1-2 inches like they have some suspension on them. well next step will be to make it a solid mount. not sure what i am going to do yet but i will post my solution to this problem. btw the deep socket method only helps if the ball is loose in which mine isn't, the mount is broke i do believe. also the pics are of the same side (passenger).
Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info mine are definetly not SOLID they move in and out about 1-2 inches like they have some suspension on them. well next step will be to make it a solid mount. not sure what i am going to do yet but i will post my solution to this problem. btw the deep socket method only helps if the ball is loose in which mine isn't, the mount is broke i do believe. also the pics are of the same side (passenger).
patch is up with 'jb weld'. that stuff will make it hold for decades
Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

JB Weld is literally responsible for keeping the earth turning.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just replaced mine today. to whoever said they are $30 at advance auto, that is PER side. the dealer wanted $65 per side (or 85, they didn't know which, wanted my VIN and since they didn't have them in stock i just told the guy i'd get them at autozone and he said he didn't blame me if i could get them for half that price) i got them at autozone for $30 each side (advance was out and the autozone i was at was out but there was one down the road that had them) the guys at the autozone helped me put them in. the T47 torx on the body of the car is a bitch to get loose. ironically i was at a chevy dealer having a PDR guy fix a ding in my right 1/4 panel and when i opened the hatch to get the jack and spare out for him, it wouldn't stay up. it was fine yesterday and it was cooler yesterday than today and i normally only have trouble with it when its cold (i store the car in the winter so it's not that often) but there is usally SOME resistance. when i lifted up the hatch today it was as if there were no struts on there at all.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Guys its not what yall keep saying, The strut is attached to a round disk that is then bonded to the hatch, his broke and now move freely in the hatch. I have one like that and about to just remove them because it gives me a horrible rattle.,
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Agreed, you can tell the part that mounts to the hatch is moving on his pictures. The ones in my 95 squeek like a mother ******. It's beyond annoying and I need to change them. They work perfectly fine, but the squeeking is insane. It's not holding the hatch in place for some odd reason and it bounces around. I need to check and see it the strut mount is broken. If it would stop raining outside I might actually get to fix it.

Quick Reply: HATCH PROP RODS anybody have the same problem??