General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump Going??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Going??

So i was driving around today and i hear a loud squeal coming from the rear. At first i thought it was my rear speakers. I got home and i could hear it coming from under the car. So i poke my head under and it seems like its coming from the drivers side rear. I shut the car off and when i go to start it. Right before i turn the car on i hear what sounded like an "air leak" for a few seconds then stops?

I have no idea what this could be. Any help narrowing it down? I just replaced my fuel filter could i have loosened something up? I checked around the filter and NO GAS.

Definitely need some help!! I just hope its not the fuel pump!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
So i was driving around today and i hear a loud squeal coming from the rear. At first i thought it was my rear speakers. I got home and i could hear it coming from under the car. So i poke my head under and it seems like its coming from the drivers side rear. I shut the car off and when i go to start it. Right before i turn the car on i hear what sounded like an "air leak" for a few seconds then stops?

I have no idea what this could be. Any help narrowing it down? I just replaced my fuel filter could i have loosened something up? I checked around the filter and NO GAS.

Definitely need some help!! I just hope its not the fuel pump!!
Bad news is: It is the fuel pump

Good news is: Its normal, its supposed to make that sounds for a couple seconds while it primes the fuel lines.

You're good.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Launching!

yea but it was whining something fierce when i was out driving. I'll still prolly take it in and be on the safe side.

Anybody got a video of what a bad fuel pump sounds like?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

As gas level in the tank get lower,the noise of the pump gets louder.The gas surrounding the pump helps muffle the noise.We shouldn't run our tanks lower than 1/4 as the gas helps keep the pump cool.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

i have half a tank...found this on youtube and this is what it sounded like. Right now its not doing it but still nervous now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8fLzP1UeDQ
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Well, here's a link to a guy who claims this is a vid of his Walbro fuel pump dying. Sure does sound a lot like yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjbYL9qI-SE&NR=1
Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
yea but it was whining something fierce when i was out driving. I'll still prolly take it in and be on the safe side.

Anybody got a video of what a bad fuel pump sounds like?
I personally have never heard that a buzzing fuel pump means its going to fail.

When my car was stock, mine did that a few times over a 4 year period till my aftermarket pump was put in.

I have heard that noise from other cars and they never failed.

Just don't let a mechanic tell you they need $1,000 to change your pump if thats what you decide to do. If it were me I'd leave it alone.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Launching!

thanks man ^^^ anybody else
Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
As gas level in the tank get lower,the noise of the pump gets louder.The gas surrounding the pump helps muffle the noise.We shouldn't run our tanks lower than 1/4 as the gas helps keep the pump cool.
Incorrect. Our cars have a bucket that keeps the pump constantly sumberged and cooled. You would have to empty the tank to take the fuel out of the bucket and away from the pump you only risk sucking up **** that has settled in the bottom of the tank.

As far as the pump making noise i'd look into it a little more and put a gauge on the rails and see what your pressure is doing before throwing money at anything.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Teching In

my fuel pump just took a dump on me. It was startin to die on the interstate, and whenever i'd stop completely, like at the offramp, it would just die. Sucks. but once i let it sit for a little while, it runs alright for a bit, then it goes back to that. i had it in the dealership today, and they told me its def. my fuel pump.
Im not looking forward to replacing it..

Dave
Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FamousWS6
my fuel pump just took a dump on me. It was startin to die on the interstate, and whenever i'd stop completely, like at the offramp, it would just die. Sucks. but once i let it sit for a little while, it runs alright for a bit, then it goes back to that. i had it in the dealership today, and they told me its def. my fuel pump.
Im not looking forward to replacing it..

Dave
Just don't have the dealership replace it.

You can probaboly get a Racetronix fuel pump and have any ole mechanic put it in cheaper than the dealer replacing it with a factory pump. Labor is gonna kill ya at the dealership.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Teching In

oh yeah I know,
I'll be doin the pump myself, I dont feel like pissin away money on somethin that can be done on a saturday. And yeah, I agree on the racetronix pump, ive been told its the way to go.

Dave
Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FamousWS6
oh yeah I know,
I'll be doin the pump myself, I dont feel like pissin away money on somethin that can be done on a saturday. And yeah, I agree on the racetronix pump, ive been told its the way to go.

Dave
Yes, Racetronix is the one I have. 7 years on my 427 and its still perfect.

And silent (except for when it primes before start of course)
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
Incorrect. Our cars have a bucket that keeps the pump constantly sumberged and cooled. You would have to empty the tank to take the fuel out of the bucket and away from the pump you only risk sucking up **** that has settled in the bottom of the tank.

As far as the pump making noise i'd look into it a little more and put a gauge on the rails and see what your pressure is doing before throwing money at anything.
thats more for the 99+ with the 16.8 gallon tanks
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Nope even the LT1's have the bucket in them.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
^^ Nope even the LT1's have the bucket in them.
yes, but not nearly as much as the bigger tanks

like you sad, with the bigger tank you would have to completely drain the fuel, but with the smaller ones its not as much to expose the pump
Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

my fuel pump has been makin the same noise for about two years now.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just started to hear this sound today. For those that had the whining, did you end up replacing the fuel pump? How difficult is it to do if the steel has already been opened up above the fuel tank? The previous owner did it, but it looks like direct access to the pump.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my ex's subrban FP whined for 2 years and 60k and never crapped b4 we split. If you do have to replace it search the trap door method rather than dropping the rearand exhaust which is a PIA.....
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with my GTP, the fuel pump was LOUD as hell, sounding like an ongoing high pitched electrical whine which would keep making the sound whenever the car was on. The pump in that state lasted OVER 3 years ....HOWEVER the first time you let the tank empty/dry it will DIE(my gas gauge was also fubbared which didnt help matters). IF your sending unit(gauge) is still good, dont let it go below a 1/4 tank(yes the fuel cools the pump). ALSO, DO NOT fill the tank right away if you have run the gas really really low as the cold gas hitting a hot pump=not good

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Going??