General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

annoying squeeky sound!!! please help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying squeeky sound!!! please help...

everytime i do a cold start..there's no bad sound. then i go out to drive it and it starts. everytime im idle...is when its really starts going. and it sounds like a belt problem...but i put belt dressing and its still doing. i just a got a new alternator also...so idk what could be the problem.

anybody think they can help?

i'll post a vid asap.

thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car was quiet when cold, and when it got to operating temp it would squeal when idling. Turned out to be the AC tensioner pulley.

Could also be one of the other 3 pulleys. Easiest way to narrrow down whether the squeal is coming from the main belt drive or AC belt drive is to change the load on the belts with a 15mm socket on the tensioner while it's running. BE CAREFUL! You will have to get the AC from the bottom.

Might also be the water pump.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds similar to a problem im having with my car as well, I'm in Iraq right now so i can't verify but im about 95% positive this is what it is. Someone had a similar thread on this awhile back-im sure if you do a search for belt squeak or something similar you will find it but I think its something with the alignment of the serpentine belt, check out this TSB i found

yes there is a bulltin #00-06-01-008 these are the part #'s 12563326 Double Row Idler Pulley Assembly, 12563327 Generator Bracket, 12562626 Serpentine Belt.
the bulltin states that idler pully is misaligned with crackshaft pully. these is suspose to be the fix. i have never tried it i don't know if it works good luck

I'm going to repost the TSB information. It's always nice to have it over here.

Accessory Drive Belt - Squeak/Chirp Noise

BULLETIN NUMBER: 00-06-01-008

SECTION: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE: March 2000

SUBJECT: Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION: Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE: The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION: To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

Important: The new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension (2) on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. Dimension (2) on the previous bracket was 8.3 mm.

Part#
12563326 - Double Row Idler Pulley Assy
12563327 - Generator Bracket
12562626 - Serpentine Belt

I'm not sure if it is free or not. That doesn't mean that I won't try. If it is not, here are some prices.
Here's some prices -

Desc / Part# / Dealer / ALL GM Parts (on-line)

Double Idler pulley / 12563326 / 41.26 / 30.81
Alternator Bracket / 12563327 / 16.18 / 12.08
Serpentine Belt / 12562626 / 31.25 / 20.48

S & H - ALL GM Parts - 9.95

TOTAL / Dealer - 88.69 + tax / ALL GM - 73.32

im not saying this is whats wrong with your car but it is possible an ive heard it is common hope this helps
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys.

but i went to see what the problem was...and took off the belt while it was running...and it was still doing it. so its not the belt or pulleys...

i went to my cousins house and his neighbor is a mechanic and rebuilds motors...he checked everything and said it was inside my motor. i think he said it was the push rods inside or the lifters...something thats not working right which is making the sound...

he said its still drivable...but im gonna have to get it rebuilt sooner or later. he said to save my money that way when it comes to get it rebuilt i wouldnt have to worry..

im sad. =[ lol.

its gonna cost a lot.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you remove BOTH belts?

Sqeaking is usually an external sound, not internal. Try for another opinion. I think your cousin's neighbor is causing you undue stress.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's about 9 pulleys under the hood, as well as 2 belts. It's gotta be one of those.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

ok.

man...ill post a vid so yall can see it.

i hope it is one of the belts...

thanks

Quick Reply: annoying squeeky sound!!! please help...