General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blew coolant out of my reserve cap on a 2 hour drive. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blew coolant out of my reserve cap on a 2 hour drive. Ideas?

Hey all,
Problem fixed

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 04-20-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sticking t-stat. If it had stuck totally closed you would have obviously overheated badly, and quickly, even on the highway. Over pressure from the heat caused it to get pushed out into the overflow reservoir.

Unless there's a big bag or something stick in front of your condensor.

Thats my guess.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was thinking. I suppose theres really nothing else that would impede the flow of coolant other than the thermostat and the rad cap. I just hope the pressure didnt get so bad that it cracked part of my radiator. I'll just drive the DD until I can pop my head under this car yet again....
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Worse case scenario would be is if you have a minor head gasket leak that reared its head during the three runs.

Steam and compression into the closed coolant system can force the overflow to fill. Autozone is your friend to rent-for free the guage to test for that type of leak.

If that ends up being the problem - caddy pills might solve the head gasket leak.

A flush, new t-stat, and radiator cap will rule out if either of those two were bad.

A bad enough compression leak into the coolant can actually blow the over-flow cap right off the overflow tank. Seen that on the dyno after blowing a head gasket.

Tip: Make sure the rubber ends on the steam vent line existing from front of engine to a rubber hose into the radiator isn't loose or cracked causing air leaks into the system. Make sure the steam vent line and radiator overflow hoses haven't been flipped when connected to the radiator - easy to make the mistake and connect wrong.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Thats what I was thinking. I suppose theres really nothing else that would impede the flow of coolant other than the thermostat and the rad cap. I just hope the pressure didnt get so bad that it cracked part of my radiator. I'll just drive the DD until I can pop my head under this car yet again....
The radiator cap can't impede the flow of coolant. All caps do is loose spring pressure and let coolant spray out into the overflow reservoir.

Thats what could have happened too. Maybe the t-stat is fine. Toss it in a pot of water, then turn on the heat. Stand there with a hand held thermometer in the water near the t-stat till it reaches the temp that the t-stat is rated at and see if it starts opening as the temp hits that range. The little dick on the t-stat will come out slowly.

Could just be a bad cap.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Worse case scenario would be is if you have a minor head gasket leak that reared its head during the three runs.

Steam and compression into the close coolant system can force the overflow to fill. Autozone is your friend to rent-for free the guage to test for that type of leak.

If that ends up being the problem - caddy pills might solve the head gasket leak.

A flush, new t-stat, and radiator cap will rule out if either of those two were bad.

A bad enough compression leak into the coolant can actually blow the over-flow cap right off the overflow tank. Seen that on the dyno after blowing a head gasket.
True.

If you do that pressure test, make sure you remove all 8 spark plugs. If you do have a leak in a gasket you could fill a cylinder with water/coolant. Then when you go to start the engine you will hydro-lock it and the internals can get damaged or break. Make sure there's no water/coolant in any of the cylinders before you start it.

Quick Reply: Blew coolant out of my reserve cap on a 2 hour drive. Ideas?