General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What are the signs that your 10 bolt is on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are the signs that your 10 bolt is on its way out?

Generally, what are the signs that the 10 bolt is on its last legs?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

noise. Followed by it falling off.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running 13.364 @ 109.46 mph, 2.307 60' (Before Cutout) isnt gona break anything.

But maybe once you open up the cutout you might have an 8 sec street car on ur hands and then you might have to worry about your rearend.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IHEARTLS1
Running 13.364 @ 109.46 mph, 2.307 60' (Before Cutout) isnt gona break anything.

But maybe once you open up the cutout you might have an 8 sec street car on ur hands and then you might have to worry about your rearend.
Well the reason I'm asking is I have some slack in the rear (confirmed this, this isn't a guess), enough to cause a "clunk" when shifting or accelerating. There are no other noises, just a clunk in the previously mentioned instances. I'm trying to find out if this is bad enough to require rebuilding the rear or just letting it be.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Well the reason I'm asking is I have some slack in the rear (confirmed this, this isn't a guess), enough to cause a "clunk" when shifting or accelerating. There are no other noises, just a clunk in the previously mentioned instances. I'm trying to find out if this is bad enough to require rebuilding the rear or just letting it be.
Wait are you hearing the clunk with the cutouts open(more power) or with then closed.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IHEARTLS1
Wait are you hearing the clunk with the cutouts open(more power) or with then closed.
the cutouts have nothing to do with this.

the noise is the same regardless of throttle position.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

Lift the car and find whats loose. You don;t rebuild stock rear-ends, you get new ones or upgrade them. They're cheap as hell from a junk yard. Its probably something outside the rear-end, or NOT the rear-end. Could be a tranny mount.

A broken tranny mount will clunk when you come on and off the throttle. Thats sounds like your problem. Cheap to fix, but you need to get the car in the air.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

the cutouts have nothing to do with this.

the noise is the same regardless of throttle position.
"IHEARTLS1" is just ****** with ya.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Lift the car and find whats loose. You don;t rebuild stock rear-ends, you get new ones or upgrade them. They're cheap as hell from a junk yard. Its probably something outside the rear-end, or NOT the rear-end. Could be a tranny mount.

A broken tranny mount will clunk when you come on and off the throttle. Thats sounds like your problem. Cheap to fix, but you need to get the car in the air.
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure he was messing with me.

Anyway.

I replaced the U-joints last week and checked over everything while I was under there. The only thing that could be my driveline clunk is the rear. Everything else looks to be in good shape (TA bushing, trans mount, U-joints are new).
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure he was messing with me.

Anyway.

I replaced the U-joints last week and checked over everything while I was under there. The only thing that could be my driveline clunk is the rear. Everything else looks to be in good shape (TA bushing, trans mount, U-joints are new).
I've never heard of a rear-end making a clinking sound when shifting or hitting the gas, just the tranny or motor mounts.

Is it all good while cruising at a steady speed? No noise or anything?

Does it do it in reverse if you come on and off the throttle?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of a rear-end making a clinking sound when shifting or hitting the gas, just the tranny or motor mounts.

Is it all good while cruising at a steady speed? No noise or anything?

Does it do it in reverse if you come on and off the throttle?
It's fine at a steady speed. If you're moving and let off the gas, you can feel a small shift, but no noise.

It happens mainly during shifts.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Launching!

something similar is happening to my friends rear. he is on the look out for another rear. it is doing the same thing plus when he turns the car (as if he is turning into a driveway) the same clinking clunking noise happens. he knows it is his rearend because he has already had it replaced once before and put a shitty auburn pro series locker in it and they are crap in our cars. and it just went out of warranty a couple months ago. it was making the same noise as now.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

It's fine at a steady speed. If you're moving and let off the gas, you can feel a small shift, but no noise.

It happens mainly during shifts.
All I can tell you is: a clunking noise when shifting and/or coming on/off the gas pedal while in gear....is a prime symptom of a broken tranny or motor mount.

See if it does it in reverse while coming on and off the gas pedal.

I've just never heard of clunking from a rear-end, as long as the rear-end is bolted in tight any way. Maybe the gears inside the pumpkin are loose, if thats possible I don;t know. I've only heard of rear-ends blowing/breaking, and they're dead. Not one that clunks and then is just fine while driving.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually, you'll hear a humming noise from the rear end until it goes poopy. A clucnk or rattle could be u-joints, but you replaced them. Your problem has to be in the tranny/engine mounts, unless it's the tranny itself.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Well I don't think its the transmission itself, nothing seems wrong with its function at all. I suppose I'll check the trans mount and engine mounts, the car is at 106k with all original equipment so it might be time for some maintenance.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
T.A.WS6

whining is a a common thing on them
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

"IHEARTLS1" is just ****** with ya.
For having 3 posts he sure is a smartass. 2 of his 3 posts have been in this thread and have offered nothing but retardation.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Mine started making a horrible whining and woo-woo sound back in august and hasn't gotten any worse. From what I've read it's the pinion bearings are shot. However there isn't any slack or leaking pinion and I pulled the cover and all looks fine. I have no money to do anything about it so if it breaks it breaks.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Check TORQUE ARM !! thats my problem was I snapped a bolt in the torque arm mount that goes over the rear.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

How many miles should a stock 10 bolt last for on a completely stock a4? Good luck on finding the problem.