General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help, part in TSB discontinued from GM

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, part in TSB discontinued from GM

I have this really annoying chirping/squeaking sound coming from the front of my engine-I found this TSB on here an decided to give it a shot

Accessory Drive Belt - Squeak/Chirp Noise

BULLETIN NUMBER: 00-06-01-008

SECTION: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE: March 2000

SUBJECT: Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION: Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE: The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION: To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

Important: The new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension (2) on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. Dimension (2) on the previous bracket was 8.3 mm.

Part#
12563326 - Double Row Idler Pulley Assy
12563327 - Generator Bracket
12562626 - Serpentine Belt

I'm not sure if it is free or not. That doesn't mean that I won't try. If it is not, here are some prices.
Here's some prices -

Desc / Part# / Dealer / ALL GM Parts (on-line)

Double Idler pulley / 12563326 / 41.26 / 30.81
Alternator Bracket / 12563327 / 16.18 / 12.08
Serpentine Belt / 12562626 / 31.25 / 20.48

S & H - ALL GM Parts - 9.95

TOTAL / Dealer - 88.69 + tax / ALL GM - 73.32

-Now my only problem is-I tried ordering the parts from GMPartsdirect.com an they said the double idler pulley was discontinued Why in the hell would you discontinue a part in a TSB??!!! Now im not really sure what the hell to do, I'm thinking that since it says this is a problem for 98-00 cars, could i just get a pulley from 01-02, assuming they fixed the problem for those years? or maybe even one from a 04 GTO? any help would be appreciated
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming it's a squeaky belt or bad idler pulley,
you can remove the serpentine belt and wash it in warm soapy water and use a nylon brush and scrub the ribs clean. If there's cracking on the belt, then you simply need a new belt. For the idler pulley, do a search, you can pull them apart, clean them, grease the bearing, and good to go. I would bet these two are your problems and not what the TSB describes, especially if you've never touched the idler pulley or serp. belt and you have some miles on the car. And to do this is mostly free, unless you need a new belt of course.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Advanced Auto,NAPA,Autozone, whatever your preference and get the stock replacement part for your car. You have 2 idler pulleys the one you want to replace is the spring loaded one up top. WHILE you have the belt off replacing it check the non adjustable idler pulley to the right of the waterpump. It shouldn't have any play in it. If it does replace it also. Its held on by 1 bolt. Use your eyes while the engine is running and make sure everythings lined up correctly.

Quick Reply: Need help, part in TSB discontinued from GM