General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP ASAP w/ clutch, gears, rough idle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP ASAP w/ clutch, gears, rough idle???

Ok, I got a 99 trans am 6sp and i think i broke it already. : ( ..... This is what happened, i was pushing the car to about 100-110. I had banged the rev limiter in 3 gear and i freaked out a little bit so when i went to shift into 4th i missed the gear and i heard noises that didnt sound good so naturally i pushed in the clutch. I noticed that my rpm gauge was not working but the engine was still on. I am still coasting down the road so i put it in gear and the rpm gauge started working again. My friend that was in the passenger side said he thinks I shifted into 2nd and not 4th but it all happened so fast idk. Now the check engine light is blinking and the car idles rough, the shifter vibrates/shake a lot, and there is a rumble sound coming from the engine and exhaust. The codes are p0300 and p0704. I now what the codes are but i don't know what is wrong or what to do to fix it. Bad clutch, transmission,.... idk??? PLEASE HELP! Thanks

also when the engine is on in neutral with the clutch out (not engaged) there is a clicking sound from around the tranny and the car idle is rougher but when the clutch is in (engaged) and in neutral still, the clicking goes away and the idle is a little smoother.

Last edited by D.Jones; 05-11-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah you hit 2nd and thats not good at all around 110 ish. Lets hope some of the gurus can chime in, i did the same thing at around 65 but nothing major.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0704 - Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

I think you toasted all or most of your ignition coils or plugs. And if there's knocking coming from the tranny, you probably damaged your pressure plate/throwout bearing.

Change your plugs & wires for now. Also, get the codes cleared with a scannner - see if they come back in.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

scanned it, and it showed misfires in cyl # 5 only, changed spark plugs and swapped the coils to see if the misfires follow.... it didn't. Took it to a friend who know alot about the ls engines and he said it is probability a bent pushrod in # 5cyl. Ordered 2 and they should be here tues and we will try them out wed. Hope this fixes it.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP w/ clutch, gears, rough idle???