General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

belt squeek help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gatorback squealed just as bad as the Gates if not worse!! Belt dressing is a zip tie bandaid style fix. After a factory GM belt i could only hear the lifters tap tap tickin - no belt dressing necessary.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just pull the belt off and start the car, to see if it's the belts or pullies. Also, where are you getting grease from the pullies? There is no grease. They are sealed bearings. You dont use grease of any kind when putting on the pullies.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Just pull the belt off and start the car, to see if it's the belts or pullies. Also, where are you getting grease from the pullies? There is no grease. They are sealed bearings. You dont use grease of any kind when putting on the pullies.
Yes, they are "sealed" but they arent. You CAN repack them. I did and I killed a high pitch while that I had until the car was warmed up.

Check out the link that I posted a few posts up.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Yes, they are "sealed" but they arent. You CAN repack them. I did and I killed a high pitch while that I had until the car was warmed up.

Check out the link that I posted a few posts up.
Bandaid fix. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. They are a sealed setup, period. Not trying to argue. Just saying if you do try to repack a sealed bearing, it should be temopary.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

The pulleys are great EXCEPT for the grease. It burns off because its cheap and then the bearings get destroyed and you need a new pulley. That is money in the pulley makers pocket. You repack it with good grease and itll last for 4 times as long. Ill keep repacking mine with good grease if it saves me close to $100 every two years. Doesnt sound like much but itll add up if you own a car for 8 years.

Quick Reply: belt squeek help