General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car left in parking lot wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pellet on the key is reading 1.46 and the resistance on the vats plug is all the way to 6.55..I was under the assumption that the plug and pellet should have the same resistance?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a broke wire coming from the ignition lock cylinder. My resistance readings were off kind of like how you just said. Read my escapade in the second link someone posted earlier in this thread.

My car started up every time after a push start but my Security light was on. Changed out my cylinder lock (found one wire broke and another halfway broke). Started it up, Security light stayed on for one minute (VATS running some self check/whatever) then went off. Haven't had a problem since.

I am pretty sure this is your problem. Lots of these issues with GM cars equipped with VATS lately. They made it so the wires chaff on the cylinder every time you turn the key. After a few years, they will wear through and throw off your VATS.

If you are able to, I would tear down to the ignition cylinder lock and see if the wires are broke. Chilton actually explains the process pretty good. You can fix this yourself very easy (and some amount of time) without having to go to the stealership. Just get the resistance reading off your original keys and keep that in mind. If you need any help, let me know. My VATS adventure is still pretty fresh in my mind.