General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 Cycle Oil in My Gasoline? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 stroke fueling 101, in session.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
why has yamaha advised the use of "ring-free" for the past 10 years?
because people run them loaded down in the midrange RPMs too much, where they are hog rich on fuel. Carbon is not from burning oil, it is from an incomplete burn. rich=combustion thats too cool= carbon buildup.

This is the reason that they say to use TCW3 oil, air-cooled 2stroke oil is designed to run at hotter temps, and it will not burn correctly in a watercooled application.

not to mention adding 2-stroke oil to gasoline lowers the octane rating of the fuel,
32:1 doesnt make a damn bit of difference, let alone 640:1 (1oz per 5 gallons)

nobody ever adds more 2-stroke oil to their gas for more power on a 2-stroke motor, they lean it out.
The only thing leaning out the a/f mix on a good running 2 stroke will do is get you a trip to the machine shop and a melted ball of aluminum that used to be a piston.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to mention adding 2-stroke oil to gasoline lowers the octane rating of the fuel,
probably along with the energy content too,
and nobody ever adds more 2-stroke oil to their gas for more power on a 2-stroke motor, they lean it out.
I'm well aware that oil in the fuel can hurt the octane rating, which is why I have a catch can in my PCV line. Keep in mind we are talking about a ratio of about 500:1. This is not enough to have a measurable effect on octane rating.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WOULD NOT USE IT !!, I read about it last couple day and try it yesterday, now my car have few second delay on start !!!! no problem with performing though.

Quick Reply: 2 Cycle Oil in My Gasoline? WTF?