General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whining noise when on the accelerator, no noise when off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining noise when on the accelerator, no noise when off.

So when I'm driving around in my car, maintaining a constant speed, the car makes a "woooooo", faint but noticeable. When I take my foot off the accelerator, it goes away.

Other issues that might be related: When I take my foot off the accelerator and put it back on (more noticeable in 1st and 2nd) there is some "slack" before the drivetrain gets itself together and smoothly accelerates.

And finally, the random clicking/clunking noise I hear when I lightly turn the car to the left at any speed above 30 mph. Not sure what it is.

I'm thinking they're all related and rear end noises. Just looking for a second opinion at this point..

Any ideas guys?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise

sounds too me like you have a lower rear end ratio in your rear end. i have 4.10's in my auto 99 ta and it does the same thing when you accelerate and when you let off. i dont know for sure what the clanking noise sounds like you are havin a rear end issue that may become a problem which i hope not on your end. if you have a stock rear end then i dont know for sure what your problem is just putting my opinion in. thanks, ramair1999@hotmail.com
Old 06-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could the "wooooooo" sound possibly be the exhaust tone resonating a little bit, and creating the noise? I experience pretty much the same sound when driving on the highway. It's faint, but noticeable, and when I let off the gas it goes away. It's a lower pitch though. I think gear-whine noise is pretty high-pitched, because I have 4.10's and experience that also, and it's a lot higher of a pitch than the "woooooo" (kinda like an electric guitar as opposed to a bass guitar....). As for the slack, mine does that a little bit; but it's also an A4 and not a M6, so I dunno about that.

Have you checked your brakes? Just an idea, the clunking might be due to somethin with a tire/brake
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose anything is possible. Poly ended LCAs would make any noise louder or worse coming from the rear. The car still runs and drives great. Just minor things. Thanks for the replies, I'm really just making sure I haven't stumbled upon anything huge.

Quick Reply: Whining noise when on the accelerator, no noise when off.