General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help, blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, blowing fuses

Hey guys, lately I have been having problems with my electrical system in my 2000 z28. It has been acting up and just started to blow fuses. It blew the #7 fuse next to the dash (Pwr Accy). I replaced it and everything was fine until the next time I went to drive my car the fuse was blown again. I replaced it again with the same result. I also have a blown #5 fuse next to the dash (Tail Lps). I havn't replaced it yet so I am not sure if it is also blowing out every time I drive it. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this? The pwr accy fuse kills the radio, tach, mileage display, gas gauge, temp gauge, and all warning lights. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, looking at your website, you have lots of electrical modifications.

does any of them turn off with this blown fuse? Maybe they are the cause. That is where my first place to look would be.

If you were local, i would tell you to come over, and i would help, but 3000 miles is a little long to drive

Ryan.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, the only big stuff i have done was the passanger side wire relocation, but that was almost a year ago and i checked the harnass yesterday, everything looked good. The latest thing i have done was replace my low beam bulbs with brighter ones (65watt). I did this a couple weeks ago and just now am having problems. I have also put a couple switches in the center console (q-tec, line lock, kill switch override). I will check out the console and make sure no wires are pinched. Unless the tail lamp fuse is unrelated to the power accy fuse going out everytime i drive it i would think both these wires are getting pinched/grounded in the same spot. I have done some minor wire checking around the battery area and have not found anything unfamilliar. Is there any way to test to see where the extra current is coming from?

BTW: my headlights work fine with the blown fuses, so i wouldnt think that the extra wattage is doing it, but am not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fixed!!

Woo, hoo. Today I found the problem and it fixed all the electrical problems I have been having for the past 2 months. I narrowed it down to being the left side fog light wiring. I guess it was somehow grounding out around right hand corners and was causing the radio to crackle and the speedometer to jump around. This eventually started to blow fuses and thats where I was at when I decided to get to the bottom of the mess. I rewired the left fog light and made sure each connection was taped and away from anything metal. This stopped the blowing of fuses, and the problems when making right turns.

BTW: The reason the fuse blew every time I drove it was because I would lock it up after I got out and parked. Locking it up flashes the fog lights, so each time I would come back to the car the fuses were dead.

Thanks to all those people who have helped me and gave me ideas on which direction to go. I am glad I could fix this mess without taking it to the dealership and spending tons of money.