General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Key stuck in ignition

I've searched and haven't found any solid answers. Also if this is the wrong section feel free to move it.

I've had this car for about a month. (1999 Z28 A4) This is only happened to me a few times (around 5 or so). When I turn the car off the key won't turn to the off position. It stops about 1/3" before it, so I can't remove the key. The trans is in park. I keep trying to turn the key and finally it comes out, but it may take 5 mins or so. I've sprayed powdered graphite lubricant in the ignition but it didn't seem to help.

Any Advise?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What happens if you try a different key?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try turning the wheel while wiggling key?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
What happens if you try a different key?
I'll try and see what happens.

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
try turning the wheel while wiggling key?
I've tried and it doesn't seem to help.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe you are running into the security/safety feature that doesn't allow removal of the key if the trans isn't in park. Unfortunately, I don't know where that switch is to replace it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
Maybe you are running into the security/safety feature that doesn't allow removal of the key if the trans isn't in park. Unfortunately, I don't know where that switch is to replace it.
This sounds like what is happening. Today I left the car in N and shut it off. The key stopped in the exact same place as it does when it messes up. Any suggestions on this?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

When the car is off the shifter will move freely without pushing the brake. So I really think its a linkage on my shifter or something. Any ideas or where I should look?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

bump, did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same issue. I park my car, shifter is in park, engine is off, but the key just won't go all the way to "off" so I can pull it out. It doesn't happen every time I turn the car off, but probably 80% of the time. When it does happen all I have to do is keep trying and it always eventually turns all the way after 5 or 6 tries.

2002 Z28 A4.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Sounds to me like the BTSI switch located on the shifter, Remove the center console to get to it, I have never done one on an F body, but I know they are common on the early 00's malibu and Impalas, On those the switch comes free with a whole new shifter, but i think on yours you can replace the sensor alone.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Don't know if this helps anyway but on my 97 aurora if the car isnt fully in the park the key wont come out when you go to pull. I have to slide the shifter out of park and then put it back in park and the key comes out like butter.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joe's99ss
Sounds to me like the BTSI switch located on the shifter, Remove the center console to get to it, I have never done one on an F body, but I know they are common on the early 00's malibu and Impalas, On those the switch comes free with a whole new shifter, but i think on yours you can replace the sensor alone.
Anybody have a picture of this or a part number?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

If you go on ebay, you can get a whole shift shift assembly for $35 bucks or even try your local bone yard, If it's only doing it sometimes the switch may just be sticking and need a shot of lube, if you take the console out you'll see a switch on the front of the assembly with a harness going to it, thats the BTSI switch (sorry no picture) , try shooting it with lube and trying it before putting the console back together. If that doesn't do it the sensor or the whole shift assembly will need replacing.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about the camaro's, but I know firebird models have a button that needs to be pressed in before you can turn the key to the off position. May be something stupid that some people may miss... :/
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

press down firmly on brake and make sure its ALL the way in park, happens to friend alot
Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Aetos
Don't know about the camaro's, but I know firebird models have a button that needs to be pressed in before you can turn the key to the off position. May be something stupid that some people may miss... :/
They have that on some Camaros too, my friend's '00 has it, but my '02 does not.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Launching!

sounds like an ignition lock cylinder. happens all the time. its the thing the key goes into... fairly straight forward... any auto parts store should have it in stock.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

I had this problem on an old 2000 z28 that got in an accident. The key would not come out and would stop right where you are describing. It turned out to be, not sure of the real name, but the part under the shifter which has to do with the locking portion. It was a metal rod toward the front, with a gray piece of plastic on it. The plastic was supposed to move back and forth along the metal rod to allow it to release, but was slightly bent because of the wreck. With the key still stuck, try taking the plastic off around the shifter, look for the rod with the plastic on it, and try to slide it or move it around to see if it releases. Sorry I can't think of the name nor exactly what it was called or looks like, did this like 3 or 4 years ago lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Had the exact same problem on my -99 TA. Found this page;

http://shbox.com/trans/park_lock.html

Itīs for a 3:rd gen but it looks about the same.

Problem for me was that the cable from the shifter to the ignition was somewhat jammed, guess it can get that with time. Actually the problem has nothing to do with the position of the actual shifter, itīs the releasebutton on the side of the shifter (that you press with your thumb) that moves the cable in and out.

So, if you have this problem, first thing to try is to remove the T-handle from the shifter (pull out the U-shaped clip on the back of the handle and simply pull off the handle). You will se a white plastic rod stick up from the handle. With the key all the way to the run position, put the shifter in park and then PULL UP THE WHITE ROD. This causes the cable/small rod to move forward into the grey plastic tubing (shown on the page I linked to above). Now try to get the key out. If it works you know you have a problem with the linkage.

Remove the top part of the center console. Two bolts in the armrest-box, then it comes right off, just mind the wiring.

Now, sitting in the drivers seat looking down at the shifter-assambly you will see a small spring that is supposed to shove the cable/rod into the grey plastic when you release the button with your thumb. I realised that this spring wasnīt enough to do the job fully, so I added a second spring in the same place and together they were able to overcome the resistance in the linkage and now my key comes out as it should every time.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

have the same issue here..not the key. tried both
my car only has 19,000 miles so no way tumblers worn out
Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aetos
Originally Posted by spoonraker
They have that on some Camaros too, my friend's '00 has it, but my '02 does not.
Automatics don't have the button on the lock cylinder. Those cars you speak of had to have a manual.

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition