General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help, not an LSX ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, not an LSX ?

Ok guys I'm running out of ideas, and cannot find anything that meets exactly what is going on....

My girlfriends 2000 oldsmobile alero 4cyl has an intermittent problem with the CPS. It keeps throwing the code of crankshaft position sensor either malfunction or low performance.
The car will start off and on, and then while driving it will randomly die. The gauges will flutter slightly, then the car and gauges die off completely. Several times they have fluttered then the car continues to run perfectely fine. Sometimes the car cranks over and over then starts.
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor with a new one, and checked the wire going from the cps to the ignition control module. The connectors look fine, and the wire is good too (1 wire has a 5vlt reference and the other has a 4.9vlt reference, and both ohm ok).

Car has 80,000 miles the only known problem is it has a faulty ignition lock cylinder, I know the cylinder can explain part of the starting issue, but not it throwing that code. Unfortunately I do not have the exact code number if anyone is needing that.

Thanks for any help I'm out of ideas
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why don't you replace the faulty ignition lock cylinder? Thats probably the problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Why would an ignition lock cylinder cause it to throw a CPS code? The lock cyl is faulty because the magnet on the back of them tend to die out overtime and will not reckognize the key as the correct key, this is only a starting issue, once the car is started and passed the "passlock" security feature it is good to go, this would not cause it to die while driving.

I have not replaced it because of laziness and time (dash must be pulled to replace this one and not sure if there is a way around it)
Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

No one knows anything about this? Cmon I know there are plenty of mechanics on here......