General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

#2 and #7 cylinders are misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #2 and #7 cylinders are misfiring

So like the title says, the #2 and #7 cylinders are misfiring. The plugs, wires, coil packs, and injectors are all fine. I thought it could possibly be a mechanical issue, but I don't understand how both of those cylinders would start ******* up at once, seeing as how they are on opposite sides and ends of the motor.

I am thinking it is electrical, since I have some things shorted out in the car right now. It is in the shop, and has been there for a while. I am pretty confident in the shop I took it to, but there is still a chance they won't be able to fix it. I already took it to one shop who was supposed to fix it, and they ended up just doing a couple diagnostic tests on it, and giving it back still running like ****, and my wallet was lighter of course. I was confident in them as well, hence why I am not sure that they will fix the car.

What could cause both cylinders to start misfiring at once, along with the shorts, blowing fuses, the brake lights don't work, the fog lights, and the interior lights for the dash and shifter don't work. My ASR hasn't worked since I bought the car, and I don't know why, but that's not the point.

Anyway, if anyone can think of anything, just let me know. I would appreciate it very much.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your plugs, wires, coil packs, and injectors MAY be fine. But how do you know that?

Are you getting spark to the plugs in those cylinders?
Are you getting fuel to the injectors in those cylinders?

You need to start swapping all those items on those 2 cylinders with the other cylinders to find the culprit.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the plugs and wires should be good, seeing as how they are brand new. NGK and MSD stuff. I swapped a coil pack from 4 to 2 and there was no change and the same thing on the injector from 5 to 7 and no change.

I have a question though, wouldn't it seem like an electrical problem seeing as how this all just happened out of nowhere all at once?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take this for what it is worth, but I had a misfire on injector number 7 and swapped injectors with number another and the problem did not move. I noticed my injectors were not in very good shape so I replaced them all anyways, and as it was the only thing I hadnt done yet. Did you notice any buildup in the filter baskets of the injectors?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Well, the plugs and wires should be good, seeing as how they are brand new. NGK and MSD stuff. I swapped a coil pack from 4 to 2 and there was no change and the same thing on the injector from 5 to 7 and no change.

I have a question though, wouldn't it seem like an electrical problem seeing as how this all just happened out of nowhere all at once?
If 7 and 2 are still not firing and you swapped them with 4 and 5 coils...then its pretty obvious that you're not getting power to the 7 and 2 coils.

So...no spark?

Unless its 7 and 2 fuel injectors that are not hitting. Swap those with two others and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, you have an electrical issue before the coils. If it does fire, you have two bad injectors.

Thats what I would gather.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did swap injectors. No change. Everything in and around the injectors look clean. Injectors look to be in good shape. I just don't understand how it would drop those two cylinders and start messing up as much as it has all at once like that, unless it was electrical.