General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak.

question about an oil leak...im pretty sure its a rear main seal...on a brand f'n new tranny...

how hard do u think that would be to do by myself...i dont trust any shops around here cause im brand new to clovis...and everything looks shady...

just a question.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

If you're in Clovis, CA vice NM, take it to the Clovis Gararge, corner of Clovis and 3rd. I've done business with them many, many times, and they will treat you right. Probably one of the 5 best shops in the Fresno/Clovis area. I used to live in Clovis, in fact went to Clovis High, graduated there in the 70's. Used to be the Fleet Manager for the P.D. there, and we had lots of stuff done at the Clovis Garage.

Incidentally, the new tranny has nothing to do with a rear main leak.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Chances are, it won't be the rear main seal. I have a tiny leak from the back, and when i had the tranny removed to be rebuilt, the seal was dry. The leak was coming out of the pan.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xbcrguy182x
Chances are, it won't be the rear main seal. I have a tiny leak from the back, and when i had the tranny removed to be rebuilt, the seal was dry. The leak was coming out of the pan.

i think it actually might be coming from the pan...you think it has anything to do with going from 0ft above sea level to over 4000?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear seal is not hard to replace.....neither is taking the tranny off.

It's stabbing it, whats really a beeotch! I never want to do it again, I've stabbed mine 3 times and I've had it.!

best thing to do is get some ramps....take it to a self car wash drive up on the ramps and spray the **** of it....get it nice and clean.

Then give it a day, go back under the car and check for the area.

Just FYI, if you didnt use and OEM rear seal when they replaced it, your pretty much screwed. Aftermarket seals ******* suck ***, I dont even understand why they sell them. They will leak everytime.

Usually the oil pan gaskets depending on the mileage will turn brittle and start cracking hence small leaks.

If you find a particular bolt. Take it out and clean the hole good and put alot of gasket maker on it and re torque it. It helped on the rear pan bolts by the tranny on mine. No more leaks for now

Eventually I will need a new gasket on the pan.