General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why is my car overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you guys bring this up. My car is slammed on coilovers and an edelbrock suspension kit, as with any good lowered car the splitter that ducts air up into the radiator is chewed up and some screws are missing. My cars runs just a hair over the 210 mark with the 160 degrees stat. Could anyone tell me how tall it is to start with or maybe I could post some pics of mine to see how much of the bottom has been chewed off. And where can I source a new one? My car gets a little warm on the highway but does ok in city.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk777th
Funny you guys bring this up. My car is slammed on coilovers and an edelbrock suspension kit, as with any good lowered car the splitter that ducts air up into the radiator is chewed up and some screws are missing. My cars runs just a hair over the 210 mark with the 160 degrees stat. Could anyone tell me how tall it is to start with or maybe I could post some pics of mine to see how much of the bottom has been chewed off. And where can I source a new one? My car gets a little warm on the highway but does ok in city.
Dealership or junkyard.

I think the air dam works best when the bottom of the dam is the proper distance from the ground. Maybe just cutting the one you have so there's more distance there might work.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Let me snap some pics.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

i read the whole thread and didn't see that coming, haha. So you removed it? I thought about that too four years ago but i checked to see what it actually was doing. Just directing airflow.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/img0586qao.jpg/
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/img0587jed.jpg/
Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

You have an LT1?

That air dam looks just fine to me. I'd put those two missing screws in though, maybe its allowing the bottom of the air dam to flex backwards too much. Try it out.

I'm not big on auto aerodynamics....aeronautical, YES, but not auto.....but I think I read somewhere that when you lower a car too much and you move the air dam too close to the ground, it changes the air pressure system that builds up in front of it and that can dusrupt the flow "up and into the condensor".
Maybe send a PM to "Louis" at LG Motorsports...he'll tell you more about it. He's going to be building my custom lower air dam, with a splitter, when my car gets its new engine built and installed. Top speed set-up.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Holy ****, thats funny.

Air dam cools at cruise speeds

Fans cool at low speeds and stop and go driving

Do not remove stuff

Haha yea i know, when i was putting it bak on i realized how dumb i was taking it off. Guess i wasnt thinking at the time!

Originally Posted by masterz28
i read the whole thread and didn't see that coming, haha. So you removed it? I thought about that too four years ago but i checked to see what it actually was doing. Just directing airflow.
+1 to you, your a better person than me lol
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by masterz28
i checked to see what it actually was doing. Just directing airflow.
I guess you can say its directing airflow. But its doing it by damming up the air in front of it. It can't go down, it can't go under and by the dam entirely, some escapes to the sides....the only way it can go "easily" is up into the condensor and through it and the radiator. Kind of like electric, path of least resistance. More of an air mass getting compressed and it can only go one way.

But yeah....its getting "directed" in there.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

No its an LS1 2002 SS Camaro
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Check and pull your thermostat and see if it opens up. Mine got stuck shut and had the same exact problems. Put a 160* in it cause they were the same price and havent had a problem since. I used to sit there and run heat full blast with the t-tops off but that took a toll on me and ended up the thermostat. Just pull it off the block and stick it in boiling water and see if it ever opens up.

Just my .02