General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad rear main seal??

Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad rear main seal??

first the car is a '00 camaro SS M6 136,xxx.. so lately this thing has jus been loosen like a quart a week if not more. ive tried lucas oil treatment wit the maxlife an still same results. i know wheres its comin from an its a lil gap on the very bottom between the engine an trans.. would this be the cause of my leak the rear main seal?? an if this sounds right how hard a fix is it an any write ups wit pics of how to fix it? this would be a fix in the driveway wit a jack an stands if its possible? thanx
Old 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's easy to fix, but requires removal of the tranny. A Chiltons manual is about $20 at you local parts store, and will guide you down the rosy path. It's something you should have anyway.

Never, ever under any circumstances put any additives in your oil. None of them work as advertised, and may actually cause damage.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also need to check your rear oil galley plug. I changed two RMS before I found that was where I was leaking.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You also need to check your rear oil galley plug. I changed two RMS before I found that was where I was leaking.

+1 on checking the plug. It's easy while you're in there. Actually, I'm pretty sure that GM sells the entire rear main cover with the new seal already pressed in and installed as well as the gasket for the rear cover. Or if you want to you can just pick up the RMS at an auto store and do it yourself. Lol, I'm lazy so I just bought the rear cover already set up. While you're swapping it out just check the plug. Pull it out and check the O-ring on it too for wear or damage. It sits behind the rear main cover on the drivers side.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you happen to have the part number of the rear cover with seals?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

There is also a "freeze out plug" pressed into the back of the center of the crank shaft. Its possible to damage it while changing the pilot bushing, this will cause a big oil leak too.

Search this Thread