General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new A/C compressor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new A/C compressor replacement?

when i replace the A/C compressor with a new one, i read once that i have to install a new oriffice plug? am i correct with what i wrote?

if i'm correct why i have to install a new oriffice plug?

thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
when i replace the A/C compressor with a new one, i read once that i have to install a new oriffice plug? am i correct with what i wrote?

if i'm correct why i have to install a new oriffice plug?

thanks.
If you've had a major compressor failure, the system will have lots of junk throughout the system (and the whole system needs to be flushed out). The common collection point for lots of this junk is the orifice tube, and due to small diameter, will plug the tube causing the A/C system to not work in spite of the new compressor.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the reply. so if i flush the A/C system will the oriffice tube be cleaned or i will need to install a new oriffice tube?

thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need to install a new one. The system needs to be opened up to flush it, and the orifice tune is 2 bolts (evaporator and consensor connections) and it just slides into the tube, very easy to replace (cost, $5 or so)

Ryan
Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

do i need to install a new oriffice tube for every R134 gas fill i mean like every year? or for every new compressor installation?

btw, i have no idea in what elapsed time period the oriffice tube will get clogged with dirts and such.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

with a good AC system you shouldn't have to refill the AC every year. If you do, you've got a leak.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Abdullah
do i need to install a new oriffice tube for every R134 gas fill i mean like every year? or for every new compressor installation?

btw, i have no idea in what elapsed time period the oriffice tube will get clogged with dirts and such.
Assuming that you don't have another compressor failure anytime soon, you won't have to replace the orifice tube for quite some time regardless of how many times you have to charge the system.

As was said, if you have to charge the system every year, you have leaks that need to be fixed.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

great info, thanks for the replies.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

you dont need to replace the orifice tube when you recharge your a/c system nor do you have to recharge it every year. like mensioned above you will only need to replace an orifice tube if you have serious contamenasion like a failed desiccant bag or compressor. the orifice tube acts like a "filter" and could get clouged, it prevents contamenets form going into the evaportaor and making its way to the compressor.

what you could do if you are losing refrigerant is add a/c dye to the oil you use (pag oil for r134 systems) and use a uv light to find where the leak is
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Q8-TECH
you dont need to replace the orifice tube when you recharge your a/c system nor do you have to recharge it every year. like mensioned above you will only need to replace an orifice tube if you have serious contamenasion like a failed desiccant bag or compressor. the orifice tube acts like a "filter" and could get clouged, it prevents contamenets form going into the evaportaor and making its way to the compressor.

what you could do if you are losing refrigerant is add a/c dye to the oil you use (pag oil for r134 systems) and use a uv light to find where the leak is
geat info, thanks.

are you from Kuwait? do you study in the USA?