General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air Vents will only blow hot air

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Vents will only blow hot air

My car has been sitting for over a year unused and had the interior out. I recently put it back together, and the A/C still worked fine. After a few weeks, now the car will only blow hot air from the vents, even if just the fans are on and not the A/C, the air comes out super hot. Even if the A/C wasnt charged or had failed, wouldnt the fans still blow out air thats close to ambient temp? I looked at the back of the HVAC controls and its all hooked up okay it seems. Its almost like the controls are stuck on HOT. I can still hear the compressor and everything kick on when I flip it to A/C, but its just always super hot air coming out as if the heater was stuck on. Any ideas what I can check next? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check the connections on the HVAC controls. When you turn the dial to max/ac/top/defrost/etc does it switch between the vents or does it stay on defrost and the lower vents?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

mine kinda did the same thing but i figured out its a leak... can always get a can of "freon" and leak detector and check out if its a leak.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phase-2
mine kinda did the same thing but i figured out its a leak... can always get a can of "freon" and leak detector and check out if its a leak.
x2. Just pick up a can of r134 with leak stop. There's also some leak detector has UV dye.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

do not buy the stopleak stuff, fix the problem, or your looking for a really expensive repair bill when you go to fix the system correct after the stopleak stuff kills your compressor.

Ryan
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies so far guys. All the vents work when switching the **** settings around. I thought the same thing at first, that a vacuum line had come loose, because thats what caused these symptoms after my LS6 intake install. But this is different.

Also, even if it was out of freon or theres a leak in the a/c system, wouldnt the vents still blow ambient air when just the fan is switched on, and not the A/C? No matter what setting im on (fan, max, a/c, floor), its always super hot air coming out. Doesn't the a/c system only affect the air temperatue when the compressor is on?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Check both ends of all the vacuum lines, not just at the a/c controls. The heater was stuck on in my TJ and the vac line on the engine intake manifold had come loose.

Then while you have the dash apart hook up the vacuum source line to the controls and move the selectors to see how the vacuum output changes. This way you can check to see if the control itself is the problem.

If that checks out you need to check the vacuum valves that divert the air to different paths and see if one of those are stuck open or closed.

Quick Reply: Air Vents will only blow hot air