General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

mystery noise from underneath!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mystery noise from underneath!! HELP

well i recently had the clutch changed out ,,a few months after that i had a resonator put it midway between the y-pipe and muffler and i know its not rubbing, well a little more than a month ago i notice a noise kinda sounds like a slight grind or rubbin kinda like somethings against something else,,when i upshift to 2nd and then again to 3rd but not to any other gear,,so i removed my short shifter, well about two weeks after taking the short shifter out the noise went away, well tonight on my way back home from being at a friends garage almost to the house the noise comes back,,and i cant figure out what it might be,,,,,any suggestions on what to look at or to check????
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

well with that description its very hard to tell you, could be a million things really.

how loud is it?

from what section of the car can you hear it from? rear?

anything else in the car happen? anything shake?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

its kinda like a vibration of somekind,,,,but its not very loud at all,,,it seems to be coming from around the tranny,,or somewhere close,,,sometimes you can feel it in the floorboard on the passenger side
Old 09-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WannaLS1
its kinda like a vibration of somekind,,,,but its not very loud at all,,,it seems to be coming from around the tranny,,or somewhere close,,,sometimes you can feel it in the floorboard on the passenger side
is the sound similar to the sound it makes when your going 30mph, shift it in 6th gear and mash on the gas with no power?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
is the sound similar to the sound it makes when your going 30mph, shift it in 6th gear and mash on the gas with no power?
ill have to try that tomorrow and see,,,but not really sure,,,its really hard to explain it,,,,
Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Default Clutch noise

I swear I'm having a simular issue if not the same. The only thing is mine is an aftermarket and has about 50,000 miles on it. What i have is a humming noise when i'm in lower gears and only when i am engaging the clutch, although it happens sporadically