General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is Dex cool bad for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen dexcool damage OVER AND OVER...its the 1st thing i get rid of when i buy a car with it in. Ots ok in a closed system but the f body uses a open system, this lets the hot dexcool exposed to air causing acids to form...these acids eat EVERYTHINg...in my 99 with 28k miles on it it ate the rad cap and the inlet of the PLASTIC radiator! YES it ate the plastic away that the cap no longer sealed.

I'd stay far away from dexcool. The 02 car i just bought with 31k on it looks clean like new...BUT I DUMPED THE DEXCOOL ...noway i'm going through that crap again.

Another crazy thing about dexcool is once it starts its acid eat feast its VERY VERY HARD TO STOP. Ask me how i know...it took 6 complete distilled water flushes over two years to stop the trouble in the 99ta. It just would not stop.......

Now i know alot of people are going to chime in that its all BS.

To you i say you just got lucky and never had the dexcool turn acid for what ever reason.

I went to look at a 02 camaro with 95k on it....i opened the rad cap and the only thing visible was BROWN GOO......I informed the owner he had major trouble in the rad and asked if he ever changed it. HE said" the dealer always serviced it"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

all the dealer wrenches SHOULD loose your jobs!

Because you are the cause of gms wows with your poor workmanship and poor knowledge.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
This has no meaning at all within the realm of whether or not Dexcool is good or bad. It's a case of GM deciding that it's cheaper to pay a settlement than it is to take the case to trial with the accompanying years worth of legal fees. Happens all the time in business at their level. Believe me, they paid very close attention to what happened to McDonalds over a cup of hot coffee, and a jury's attitude toward deep corporate pockets.
BS yer the same guy that thinks the aluminum heads have hardened push rod holes!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RTA
BS yer the same guy that thinks the aluminum heads have hardened push rod holes!
Had the wrong set of heads in my head, buckwheat. Learn something about business, then we'll talk.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once again, let me put a little bit of truth on the internet,
you can also search on my username and look up past posts i've made on the subject,

dexcool has one additive in particular, 2-eha it is called, it stands for 2-Ethylhexanoic acid. this additive is what sets it apart from all the other long-life antifreezes on the market, dexcool is the only antifreeze having this additive as far as i know.

the good thing about 2-eha is it is a very good additive at protecting aluminum and lasts a long time. It is what gives dexcool it's 5yr/100k service life.
the bad about 2-eha is it is a plasticizer, and it degrades silicone and nylon which are 2 things many gaskets are made of. So if you are not using any gaskets incompatible with 2-eha then THERE IS NO PROBLEM. The problem happened with various GM v-6 engines having incompatible intake gaskets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

The other problem with dexcool is contaminants and rust float in it, as opposed to sinking like in traditional green antifreezes. This is why it seems to look so bad on the radiator cap. Now if this is the case for you, you need to find out why you have contaminants and rust in the system, don't simply conclude it's dexcool's fault. That would be like running out of gas and blaming the automaker because now the car doesn't run. GM did have a problem years ago, it was on the S-10 pickups i think, where a whole bunch were improperly filled at the factory and had a decent amount of air in the system, and it was on an iron engine block so rust formed when exposed to air then the rust got washed throughout the system by the coolant. The solution here, and this goes for any vehicle but be aware if it's an iron block and/or heads, that you need to not have any air in the system otherwise rust will form, with any antifreeze!
Most everything today is all aluminum, there is no iron anywhere anymore so this point becomes irrelevant.

And the clincher is, there are MILLIONS of cars & trucks running dexcool since 199-*******-6 with no problems. So how do you explain that?

There is a logical reason for the problems associated with dexcool, please read here for factual info on dexcool, all the legal **** is described
http://www.imcool.com/

The LS1 and all LS model engines since 1998 has never used gaskets or any materials that have ever been incompatible with dexcool, and there has never been a known coolant related problem where it was specifically caused by the coolant. The problems come from contaminants introduced into the cooling system such as hard water or softened water instead of using distilled or purified demineralized water, or adding some extra additive to the coolant like stop-leak pellets or other type of antifreeze, or a power steering cooler leak where power steering fluid gets into the cooling system, or a transmission cooler leak where trans fluid gets into the cooling system.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
From what I've read, Dex-cool is the stuff that's safe for aluminum, and the green will eat away at it... Just throwing that out there..
DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! DING!!!

You are 100% correct. A properly maintained Dexcool system is better than Green Glycol.

Sad thing is that most people on here don't even know it.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

WTF !

The green doesn't "eat away" at aluminum.

if you're going to say that, then describe how and why!

this topic is starting to eat away at my patience.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

For whatever it is worth I am good friends with a Radiator shop owner who sees these types of problems day in and day out. He has told me to get the dexcool out as soon as I can. He is one of the most honest people I know and has never done me wrong and is always 100% helpful, full of integrity. So take it for what its worth. Me? I go with GREEN!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
WTF !

Was just being contrary to the OP. lol.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 FMF: Sold.

I'm signing off and running out to get a jug of Dexcool right now.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Ask any gm tech what he uses in his car...betcha its NOT dexcool.........

the green coolant is fine in ANY ENGINE.....there is so much mis information in this thread its stupid!

Fleetmgr you know nothing and you know you don't! HA HA HA HA HA

Last edited by 99RTA; 09-10-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Had the wrong set of heads in my head, buckwheat. Learn something about business, then we'll talk.
what do you want to talk about? things you don't know about but post up useless info about? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Mixing other color coolant with Dex-cool will also turn it to sludge.
NOPE--PRESTONE ORANGE IS COMPATIBLE WITH DEX-COOL..
Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
WTF !

Yes it does. Take apart some older cars.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
"Q"
Teching In

If it hasent been said yet dex-cool has to be kept at pretty darn close to a 50/50 ratio with water. Other wise excessive dex-cool levels are what end up turning into that sludge stuff everyone is talking about. Basicly just keep up on the ratio and make sure there is plenty of water mixed with the dex-cool.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn5
http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

GM is paying damages to settle a class action lawsuit against them for problems related to Dexcool.

Draw your own conclusions.
Originally Posted by LS6427
Its a rather weak case if Dexcool is still on the shelves and still being used by GM.

Originally Posted by wssix99
This doesn't apply to our engine type and doesn't involve the issues being discussed here, so its not really relevant unless someone knows about similar failures in aluminum V8's.

Here are some good materials and collected information on DexCool:
http://taligentx.com/passat/info/flu...fe_Coolant.pdf
http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/dexcool/

One thing to note is that DexCool is has a finite shelf life and looses its stability over time. (It will not last the advertised 100K miles if it ages too much.)

This has no meaning at all within the realm of whether or not Dexcool is good or bad. It's a case of GM deciding that it's cheaper to pay a settlement than it is to take the case to trial with the accompanying years worth of legal fees. Happens all the time in business at their level. Believe me, they paid very close attention to what happened to McDonalds over a cup of hot coffee, and a jury's attitude toward deep corporate pockets.

Well, the conclusion seems to be Dexcool rocks. Sorry for any misinformation. Enjoy, fellas.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Yes it does. Take apart some older cars.
any coolant will eat away if left in there long enough to where electrolytic corrosion starts to happen. But if you maintain it like you're supposed to, then it does not eat away at the metal.

To you i say you just got lucky and never had the dexcool turn acid for what ever reason.
and that's the whole problem with the dexcool debate, it gets bashed for no good reason. Luck should have nothing to do with it, and things happen for a reason. If you don't know the reason, then you simply don't know what you are doing or what's going on, and hopefully you're not a mechanic.
I can sympathize with your attitude towards dealers and mechanics, but again this further proves my point that it's not necessarily dexcool's fault so much as it might be the mechanic who may have done poor servicing which may be the root cause of the cooling system problems.

I'm not saying dexcool rocks, and i'm not saying it's better than other antifreeze or that you should use it. The majority of the time people ir-rationalize and draw the wrong conclusions on it from incorrect or misleading information and say it's bad when it isn't.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have dexcool in my 98 Camaro 3800 (iron block). The inside of the radiator looks disgusting so it could probably use a good flushing, but it cools just fine so I haven't messed with it....
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Ask any gm tech what he uses in his car...betcha its NOT dexcool.........

the green coolant is fine in ANY ENGINE.....there is so much mis information in this thread its stupid!

Fleetmgr you know nothing and you know you don't! HA HA HA HA HA
OK Buckwheat Master Wrench, lets see what you know. If I wanted to see a visual representation of a fuel injector pulse vs. time...what tool would I use? And what troubleshooting benefit would be derived from having that information? What would it mean if it was a sawtooth wave vs. a square wave? Gee, you don't know the difference? WTF?????

Please describe Boyle's Law, and how it applies to an A/C system? How would this knowledge benefit a master ASE certified tech such as yourself?

Can't answer those? I thought not.

Go away, little boy...you're a nuisance. Learn some English while you're on sabatical learning something useful about cars.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

OK Buckwheat Master Wrench, lets see what you know. If I wanted to see a visual representation of a fuel injector pulse vs. time...what tool would I use? And what troubleshooting benefit would be derived from having that information? What would it mean if it was a sawtooth wave vs. a square wave? Gee, you don't know the difference? WTF?????

Please describe Boyle's Law, and how it applies to an A/C system? How would this knowledge benefit a master ASE certified tech such as yourself?

Can't answer those? I thought not.

Go away, little boy...you're a nuisance. Learn some English while you're on sabatical learning something useful about cars.
wow this is americas future .........america needs prayer......all you young guys think because someone told you yer a manager or a Fleetmgr you know something.

YOU DON"T SO STFU!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

wow this is americas future .........america needs prayer......all you young guys think because someone told you yer a manager or a Fleetmgr you know something.

YOU DON"T SO STFU!
Crickets....

Bet I'm older than you Buckwheat. Hope you enjoy the blue shirt with your name on it...it's all you got.

Your admiring audience is still waiting for answers...if you don't know, just admit it, I'll be happy to educate you....publicly....

But I expect all we'll hear is crickets.

Quick Reply: Is Dex cool bad for your car?