General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Never ever use belt dressing!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gatorback belts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I've never had any problems with gatorback belts on any of my cars. No squeaks, squeals.. nothing.

Sometimes price does dictate quality.
I'm an LS1 noob and a noob on this forum, trying to learn about the belt squealing issues and how best to approach it. I just bought a 99 Trans AM that's in great shape with 46k miles. However I did notice a little squealing at idle.

My question for anyone who cares to weigh in is this: If it is a pulley that is making the noise, how does getting a better quality belt (ie gatorback) stop the pulley from squealing?

I am totally down to spend the $$ on a great belt, but I just want to understand how the solution will work. If there is something about a gatorback belt that will quiet down ANY pulley, then this would indeed be the best solution, as opposed to taking everything apart and replacing individual pulleys.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustYoder
I'm an LS1 noob and a noob on this forum, trying to learn about the belt squealing issues and how best to approach it. I just bought a 99 Trans AM that's in great shape with 46k miles. However I did notice a little squealing at idle.

My question for anyone who cares to weigh in is this: If it is a pulley that is making the noise, how does getting a better quality belt (ie gatorback) stop the pulley from squealing?

I am totally down to spend the $$ on a great belt, but I just want to understand how the solution will work. If there is something about a gatorback belt that will quiet down ANY pulley, then this would indeed be the best solution, as opposed to taking everything apart and replacing individual pulleys.
When belts start slipping they squeal from the rubber sliding on metal. The higher quality belts last longer.

Try belt dressing first, if the dressing gets rid of the squeal it's the belt, if not it's a pulley.

To track down pulley squeals, take some WD-40 or something similar and spray it on the bearing of said pulley. When the squeaking goes away, replace said pulley or re-grease, which ever is necessary.

The power steering pulley runs through the power steering pump via the shaft it's pressed on to, if that's squealing replace pump.

The Alternator pulley is pressed on to the alternator cranks also. If that's squealing replace alternator.

The Water pump pulley bearings are located in the water pump, if they are squealing replace water pump.

The AC pulley has a bearing, if it's squealing, replace AC clutch or AC clutch bearing.

Idler and tensioner pulleys have replaceable bearings.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by hrcslam
When belts start slipping they squeal from the rubber sliding on metal. The higher quality belts last longer.

Try belt dressing first, if the dressing gets rid of the squeal it's the belt, if not it's a pulley.

To track down pulley squeals, take some WD-40 or something similar and spray it on the bearing of said pulley. When the squeaking goes away, replace said pulley or re-grease, which ever is necessary.

The power steering pulley runs through the power steering pump via the shaft it's pressed on to, if that's squealing replace pump.

The Alternator pulley is pressed on to the alternator cranks also. If that's squealing replace alternator.

The Water pump pulley bearings are located in the water pump, if they are squealing replace water pump.

The AC pulley has a bearing, if it's squealing, replace AC clutch or AC clutch bearing.

Idler and tensioner pulleys have replaceable bearings.

Hope this helps.
That information is all really helpful. Thanks very much!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustYoder
That information is all really helpful. Thanks very much!
Any time.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by williamb81
Gonna post pics tonight of what a mess it made. A lot of degreaser and it was all better. Dont learn the hard way, take it from me!
where are the pics you promised?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WarlordZ
You find the pics important?? The thread was made 5 damn years ago, BTW.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chaman
Damn I guess I need to start looking at when a thread was started. Why in the hell is a thread about belt dressing from five years ago still on here is the real question?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WarlordZ
I hope to hell you haven't been waiting 5 years for those pics.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 PM

I responded to it because I'm new to the forum and I got an email when I joined stating that I need to "read the directions" about using this site. One of the directions told me to search for existing posts before starting a new one. :-)

I responded to a few that had to do with squealing belts, not really paying attention to the date. Based on everyones reply, the way to go is to get a Gatorback Belt. My only question is this: those belts are a bit dated, are they not? Haven't new belts come out that might be better? Or, is there something about the Gatorback that makes them the absolute best for quieting down chirping and such on the LS1 Trans AM's?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^Have you noticed you are driving a "dated" car? There are cars that have come out faster and better.....Are you for real? The chirping is usually a pulley and a very good informative post has already covered it (see #22 post of this thread). What else do you think can be said about this issue that has not been covered yet?

Just check the pulleys or put a new belt already for the name of all that is sacred....

Last edited by chaman; 05-19-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a gatorback belt, I replaced all the pulleys on my car, water pump and belt but it would still squeak. The only thing that got rid of the squeak for me was the gatorback belt.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Hey, the guy promised pics. I want to see them. I don't care how many years it's been. I WANT TO SEE THIS MESS!!! Don't lie to me bowy.

Quick Reply: Never ever use belt dressing!!!!!!!!