General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator not getting juice HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator not getting juice HELP ME

My battery has always ran at 12.5 volts so I finally decided to get a new alternator got it all in and took off..went a few miles and all the lights started flashing and it shut off..the little red wire that plugs into it has not fire to it w/ key on or off...where does that wire go to I'm thinkin its crimped or busted or is there a fusable linkage?? Any advice will help!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by claytonr
My battery has always ran at 12.5 volts so I finally decided to get a new alternator got it all in and took off..went a few miles and all the lights started flashing and it shut off..the little red wire that plugs into it has not fire to it w/ key on or off...where does that wire go to I'm thinkin its crimped or busted or is there a fusable linkage?? Any advice will help!
The excitor wire probably needs to be replaced then. It runs up into the wiring hanrness over to the PCM. Don't think there's a fuse.

$10.00 on ebay. search "LS1 alternator" and you'll find it.

Splice it in as far up as you can and use butt connectors, do not solder it. Then shrink wrap it.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Why would you not solder it?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

The exciter wire broke at the connector when I was changing my alternator. I got a replacement at the junk yard. But, if it is broken somewhere up stream, that might suck trying to find the break. I would get a new connector and splice it in and see if that works. Good Luck. Let us know what you find out.