General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T-tops leaking badly. Flooded my interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-tops leaking badly. Flooded my interior

I've been very busy lately and haven't gotten to play with my Z28 at all. I had a slight leak recently in the liner of my windshield and got it fixed so I wasn't worried about leaving my car out during our heavy rain storms. Well a few days after the rain died down I finally got to take it somewhere. Or so i thought.

I opened up the car to about 2 inches of standing water in the front and rear passenger side floorboard. The carpet is ruined and has to be replaced. It's soaked all the way through and has mold growing on it.

I have not had a chance to seal up the car and run a water hose over it until it leaks, but I did spend quite a bit of time looking over the rubber trim. Everything looks fine.

Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Do I just need new t-top trim rubber?

Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 09-28-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Launching!

There's too many leak points. You have to figure out where it is leaking first.

I had a leaking issue from the weather stripping at top of sail panel/t-top. I pulled the plastic molding off from the inside, caulked it up and good to go. I was getting a stream of water coming in and going down my seat belt dumping on my back. That's no fun on the way to work.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i had this problem and not every time it rained only sometimes for some reason i would get puddles of water under the rear seats and on the floor of the back seats.
so this past winter i kinda got a little extreme, me and a friend completely gutted my interior seats, carpet everything. i dried my carpet out. and then i sat inside my car while my buddy rain the hose over all the possible places the car could leak. turns out when the inside rails of the hatch would get too full of water, the water would go under the rubber and thats where it would leak for me. so i re-sealed the rubber and its never happened since