General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Causes of wet carpet on driver's side?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Causes of wet carpet on driver's side?

Ok I've looked a couple threads but didn't find a solution to what causes this. On like Tuesday and smelled weird smell in my car and then Wednesday when I went to wash it I discovered the floor behind the driver's seat was absolutely soaked. I also found two spots on the floor in front of the driver's seat that was wet. Today after looking at other threads I discovered a small pond of water under the rear seat on the driver's side. Has anyone had this same problem and discovered what the cause was and fixed it or no? I don't think its the doors or t-tops. I'm thinking it could coming in the rear hatch of somehow through those plugs since one is right under the rear seat. All the plugs are there so idk how water would get in through them though. Any help? I would like to save my carpet haha.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

i saw a thread like this once, and the guy didnt think it was his ttops, and low and behold it was. i dont know how to realisticly simulate rain to see if that is the cause though. if youve eliminated the underneath plugs (even if they let some water in i doubt it would be a puddle, and if they leaked, wouldnt they let it drain back out?) im guessing it came from above.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
i saw a thread like this once, and the guy didnt think it was his ttops, and low and behold it was. i dont know how to realisticly simulate rain to see if that is the cause though. if youve eliminated the underneath plugs (even if they let some water in i doubt it would be a puddle, and if they leaked, wouldnt they let it drain back out?) im guessing it came from above.
Yeah you would think the seats would get wet if it was the t-tops and they are fine. I'm betting its the rear hatch were the water puddles up along the side. The seal looks good though, but somehow water must have found its way in.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have or had this problem?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

My t-tops had a small leak. When the water got in it didn't drip on the seats. It ran down the window and then all the way under the passenger seat. I'd check the tops before anything else.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its the tops. Mine had a slight leak like that and it ran down the window, right in front of the window switches and down to the floor. Just adjusted the TTop a little and havent had any problems with it since.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

How do you adjust your T-Tops?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

never seen it personally, BUT my freind had the same issue with her 07 mustang... She told me the dealer replaced the master cylander... To this day I dont understand it... but you may want to investigate it.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

to simulate rain attach a hose with a nozzle and have it spray over the top, not on high pressure just enough. check for leaks if found use dialectic grease on the rubber seals, it helps keep them in good shape. ive been using it for years and have had no problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

leak in top does it to mine right behind the seat
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats weird if its the t-tops, I'll go out and take them off and put them back on. It happened again and I felt around the t-tops and didn't feel any wet spots, but I'll try it.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for ttops

mine does it at the car wash, but never when it rains. Leaves little puddles/wet spots right in front of the seat on the driver's side, and sometimes a very small amount on the passenger seat.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just pull out the hose and start looking. sometimes you have to pull off body panels to see where its running down.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
Thats weird if its the t-tops, I'll go out and take them off and put them back on. It happened again and I felt around the t-tops and didn't feel any wet spots, but I'll try it.
Its because its not leaking at the TTops. They arent sealing against the window good enough and where they meet the a pillar. The water runs in right there and just runs down the window.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Its because its not leaking at the TTops. They arent sealing against the window good enough and where they meet the a pillar. The water runs in right there and just runs down the window.
I mean for the amount of water that has come it it hasn't run down the window. I know what you mean with the window because when I wash it there is like one small line of water on the window, but if its the ttops that is causing this problem its not running down the windows, it would have to be running down along the pillar behind the window. There has been like a small lake under the passenger seat, without the top of the seat being wet at all. Water gets under the carpet and just sits where the plugs are in the bottom of the car. Since I'm thinking it was the hatch because I park on a hill at my house, I'm gonna park the car facing up the hill rather than down tomorrow since we are supposed to get like 2 inches of rain over the next couple of days so we'll find out what it is then.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have this problem in my 99 TA but i get the puddle of water in front of the drivers seat. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. It doesn't happen at the car wash and its only when I get heavy rain. And even with a hose on high pressure I can't find where the water is travelling down. I would recommend taking off the panels especially the pillars and see if any water is travelling down... thats my next step. If you happen to figure it out please let me know!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Launching!

i tend to get some water on my passenger floor in my 93 firehawk, and its hardtop. usually when the ac is on, sometimes it seems to do it after it rains. maybe there is a drain for the a/c and vents and the cowl area, so maybe leaves clog it up and it backs up and finds its way in.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Default here u go

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ce-needed.html
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I did two things and haven't gotten additional water. I first took the t-tops off and put them back on, but I'm pretty sure it was the hatch so parked uphill instead of downhill in my driveway last night and we've bad a bunch of rain today with no more inside the car so hopefully the problem is no more, we'll see though.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

im having the same problem i have a small puddle and a small one infront of the seat..no rain in days, and no t-tops...have no idea has any one the same probem w/o t-tops..?

Quick Reply: Causes of wet carpet on driver's side?