General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Rack and Pinion..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Replacing Rack and Pinion..

Alright guys, need a little help here.. How hard is it to replace the Rack and Pinion on an f-body? This is a 1999 V6 3.8L. I realize this is not a LS1, but I’ve seen both and they look identical. When I refill the resevoir it automaticcally leaks out of the center of the rack and pinion. Any info would help, including tips and tricks to make it go a little smoother. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Unhappy

Is this in the wrong thread? Need a little help
Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is really simple. You need a couple of general wrenches and a few sockets and a rachet. Use a wrench to disconnect the high pressure line and the return line at the rack. I would suggest a line wrench so you don't round the head off. Then take loose the two tie rod end nuts, normally 19mm. remove tie rod end from steering knuckles. Then under the K member there are two long bolt that go up threw the K member, and I want to say there are nuts on top of them. Remove the long bolts and nuts and the rack slides out torwards the fron of the car. That is about it.

reverse the process. REPLACE THE O RING ON THE POWER STEERING LINES. Then bleed the rack by connecting everything back up and turn the wheel lock to lock about 20x, make sure the level does not go empty int he resivor.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
It is really simple. You need a couple of general wrenches and a few sockets and a rachet. Use a wrench to disconnect the high pressure line and the return line at the rack. I would suggest a line wrench so you don't round the head off. Then take loose the two tie rod end nuts, normally 19mm. remove tie rod end from steering knuckles. Then under the K member there are two long bolt that go up threw the K member, and I want to say there are nuts on top of them. Remove the long bolts and nuts and the rack slides out torwards the fron of the car. That is about it.

reverse the process. REPLACE THE O RING ON THE POWER STEERING LINES. Then bleed the rack by connecting everything back up and turn the wheel lock to lock about 20x, make sure the level does not go empty int he resivor.

Hope that helps.
Awesome, im guessing i need to mark the outter tie rods so the allignment doesnt get screwed up? Just wanna make sure im covering everything, dont wanna be screwed out another 150$ for an alignment. Also, on the new tie rod ends, theres a little grease fitting that came with it? do I need to take this some where to get it pumped with grease? sorry.... noob here.

Last edited by 99-6er; 10-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

You will have to get a alignment know matter what the toe will be off. Unless you are really really good. Grease should go in the tie rod boots. Just take your car back and say it is pulling. They will set ylour toe and let it go. LOL I did not say that it was my evil twin.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
You will have to get a alignment know matter what the toe will be off. Unless you are really really good. Grease should go in the tie rod boots. Just take your car back and say it is pulling. They will set ylour toe and let it go. LOL I did not say that it was my evil twin.
The grease goes in the rubber boot on the end? or did you say there is ALREADY grease in there? Do I need some special kind of pump to get it in there? I feel like an idiot asking these questions but I searched and can’t find crap.
And I like your thinking about the alignment. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Rack and Pinion..-photo.185132623.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Teching In

You pump the grease into the fitting with a grease gun which can be had at most any auto parts store for between $10 and $30 depending on which 1 you get. You may as well just buy 1 since you have grease fittings on your tierod ends now.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toomchz4u
You pump the grease into the fitting with a grease gun which can be had at most any auto parts store for between $10 and $30 depending on which 1 you get. You may as well just buy 1 since you have grease fittings on your tierod ends now.
Ok, I can do that. So are we SURE that there is not already grease in them?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-6er
Awesome, im guessing i need to mark the outter tie rods so the allignment doesnt get screwed up? Just wanna make sure im covering everything, dont wanna be screwed out another 150$ for an alignment. Also, on the new tie rod ends, theres a little grease fitting that came with it? do I need to take this some where to get it pumped with grease? sorry.... noob here.
Why would you pay $150 for an alignment? They're more like $50.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
Why would you pay $150 for an alignment? They're more like $50.
I may have over exaggerated a bit... But it’s 97$ for a 4 wheel alignment.. yeah, I’m prolly getting ripped, but I’ve been going to the same place for a long time.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah four wheel alginment yeah you get ripped unless you have a full adjustable rear end set up which I doubt no offense. Your tie rod ends shoudl have a little nipples on them called zurk fittings, a few pumps of grease in them and you should be ok.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rack and Pinion..