General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Leak but nothing on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmusaf
Ok i have this same problem. My power steering pump went out so I replaced it and now its going out again. I looked in the pump and theres a milkshake looking fluid in there. I have the old style power steering cooler. Since there is water/coolant in my pump, would it make the rack go bad? what all do I need to replaced?
if the whole thing looks like a milkshake it's probably air in the system. How long ago did you replace the pump? Did you bleed the system? Do you have any leaks?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do our power steering systems usually leak from?

How do you tell if the rack is going bad on our cars?

Anyone have a picture of some milkshake looking fluid?

thanks guys
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
Where do our power steering systems usually leak from?

How do you tell if the rack is going bad on our cars?

Anyone have a picture of some milkshake looking fluid?

thanks guys
Don't know what the usual line that leaks is....but I just sprung a leak in one of my high pressure lines. Its 12+ years old so I'm not really bitchin. Its the line that attaches to the reservoir by a metal line, then there's a rubber section, then another metal line that attaches to the rack. I found it because when I pulled into my driveway a few days ago I heard the pump make that grinding sound. I checked the level and it was low, pretty low. I topped it off and looked around and saw the leak. Luckily after I topped it off the sound is totally gone and its steering perfectly, so I guess its ok.

Mine is leaking from where the rubber hose meets the metal hose. Its leaking at the crimp. Very slow leak so I'll change it next week. But I learned something. A tiny leak in a power sterring system somewhere is just like a tiny leak in our cooling systems. My power steering fluid is all new, as of early last year when I did my after market power steering cooler swap. Now, my PS fluid is milky chocolate looking......apparently from the air that is getting sucked in when it starts cooling. It leaks when its pressurized and hot...it sucks in air when it cools down.

Interesting...........

Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
But is a power steering cooler necessary...? If it functions just fine with a 'cooler' that actually makes it hotter, wouldn't deleting it be an upgrade...? And cheap/free...?
would it be better to not have it at all, anyone ever tried it out?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Empatho
would it be better to not have it at all, anyone ever tried it out?
Absolutely required. This article does a great job explaining why they were put in and the dynamics of the pump, which need the cooling: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Absolutely required. This article does a great job explaining why they were put in and the dynamics of the pump, which need the cooling: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Actually, it a cooler and a heater. This applies to Transmission fluid and engine oil as well. The colder the fluid is, the thicker it is. This makes it harder to pump around. So you want the fluid to be hot, but not too hot or it will boil or burn. 100Deg C is a nice temp for the fluid. This is pretty close to the temp in the radiator. So by pumping the power steering and transmission fluid through the radiator, you will warn up the fluid quicker, but also stop it from getting to hot. It will maintain a comfortable working temperature.

Coolers that simple cool, may make the fluid to cool and work less efficient.
There is a method to GMs madness.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak but nothing on the ground?