General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

thinking of doing thermostat swap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinking of doing thermostat swap...

i want to do the 160 thermostat swap, but i have never drained/ chnaged the coolant in my car.. i read the write up (install uni.) any tips... or just go along with the write up. where should i get the thermoestat from?? and my fans were set to come on sooner when i had my car tuned after header install.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
i want to do the 160 thermostat swap, but i have never drained/ chnaged the coolant in my car.. i read the write up (install uni.) any tips... or just go along with the write up. where should i get the thermoestat from?? and my fans were set to come on sooner when i had my car tuned after header install.
If you have the type of t-stat housing that the t-stat goes in and out of....its a 5 minute job, if that, to change it out.

If its the entire housing that comes with the t-stat built into it...it takes about 1 minute longer because you have to take the lower rubber radiator off the t-stat housing and reconnect it also.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You do have to drain the coolant to a level below the thermostat before the change-out. If you don't want to raise the car and drain the normal way, you can use a hose to siphon the coolant out in to jugs. (I had to take out 1.5-2 gallons of coolant when I changed mine.)
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youll have to replace the whole housing. you dont NEED to drain the whole radiator, if your quick u can just pull the old thermostat housing, then replace it witht he new one an let some coolant flow out etc.

i wouldnt bother personally. if your fans are set to turn on sooner than theres really no point to a 160 thermo.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
youll have to replace the whole housing. you dont NEED to drain the whole radiator, if your quick u can just pull the old thermostat housing, then replace it witht he new one an let some coolant flow out etc.

i wouldnt bother personally. if your fans are set to turn on sooner than theres really no point to a 160 thermo.
cool, i wont bother with it then.