General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Me Diagnose This

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Me Diagnose This

Alright, I realize some of the details will not be important, but I will throw them all out because it is kinda strange.

Car: 1999 Camaro B4C, 131k miles, M6, All stock.

My motor has been squealing like a pig for about a week or two.

First, the backlit lights in my dash stopped working and it has been a nightmare finding the short, so I rewired it with LED's and ran a dedicated line from the headlight circuit. Works fine.

10 minutes after I finished the LED install, I am driving and see smoke from underhood. Pull over and see that there is red fluid being flung from my belt (my car is a manual FYI).

So, my first idea is failed PS pump. Replaced the PS pump and belt. Squeal is still around. Now, this is where it gets strange....

The car is now running hot. It runs about 230-250 on the gauge (my car is a 99).

The car runs hot on the highway as well, thus ruling out fans or ECT...

All I can think of now is tensioner or waterpump...

Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pump "crapped out".I'd replace the belt, pump and tensioner as you said above. Also, I'd flush the system really well,to remove any residual crap thats in there. $.02
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Time to pick the crap out of your A/C condenser I'd bet. Whatever is there may be blocking air flow. Also check the condition of your air dam.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by disco192
Alright, I realize some of the details will not be important, but I will throw them all out because it is kinda strange.

Car: 1999 Camaro B4C, 131k miles, M6, All stock.

My motor has been squealing like a pig for about a week or two.

First, the backlit lights in my dash stopped working and it has been a nightmare finding the short, so I rewired it with LED's and ran a dedicated line from the headlight circuit. Works fine.

10 minutes after I finished the LED install, I am driving and see smoke from underhood. Pull over and see that there is red fluid being flung from my belt (my car is a manual FYI).

So, my first idea is failed PS pump. Replaced the PS pump and belt. Squeal is still around. Now, this is where it gets strange....

The car is now running hot. It runs about 230-250 on the gauge (my car is a 99).

The car runs hot on the highway as well, thus ruling out fans or ECT...

All I can think of now is tensioner or waterpump...

Any ideas?
So....did this overheating start all of a sudden? As in...right before this stuff happened, it was running normal temps.

Maybe you're not running hot at all, maybe the temp sensor is going and giving you bad readings. I'd pull over and feel the engine compartment when ti reads 250 again. If its really 250 you won't be able to keep your hand on the lid, or strut tower, or intake for more than a couple seconds. When the engine is running at normal operating temps, you can keep your hands on those areas no problem.

Unless your belt is slipping like hell and the waterpump isn't spinning properly. But man, I'd think the belt would be bouncing badly even at idle. Rev it and see what the belt does. See if the tensioner is bouncing alot.