General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

your opinions on mixing synthetic and regular oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default your opinions on mixing synthetic and regular oil?

Should you or should you not? I dont think its a big deal and I dont see any priblem with switching back and forth if needed. Just curious what everyone else thinks
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that a motor that uses syn. could change to reg. but I wouldn't recommend it. Just stay with syn. your motor will appreciate it in the long run.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use 5 qts regular with 1 qt synthetic, never had any trouble. I figure its about equal to the blends they sell.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't do it... find an oil you like and stay with it... synthetics will leave a thin coating on the inside and if you switch back to conventional it can cling to that coating and slowly build up... and different brands use different ingredients so it's generally not a good idea to mix brands together either... do what you want to do it's your car, i just know that i wouldn't do it on mine... i have been using pennzoil platinum and a wix filter in my car for the past year or so and i like it so i have no reasons to change
Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can switch back and forth at will and not hurt a thing, and you can mix the two and not hurt a thing. The only time this wouldn't be advisable is if you are pushing your engine to it's absolute limits, as conventional will suffer heat breakdown sooner.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2X vote

Yep - the whole "mixing is bad" is a myth to keep you purchasing expensive stuff.

BTW - When my brother switched from the expensive Mobil One to the much cheaper Penzoil (spelling?) Platnium, his mileage increased by 2 MPG - he was shocked.

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You can switch back and forth at will and not hurt a thing, and you can mix the two and not hurt a thing. The only time this wouldn't be advisable is if you are pushing your engine to it's absolute limits, as conventional will suffer heat breakdown sooner.