General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

security light flashing car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autogeek23
Ok then that doesn't sound like my problem because my engine turns over but doesn't fire
fuel, air, spark....one is the problem. can usually rule out air.

fuel pump priming? got spark? are the injectors firing (test with noid lights)?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my car is having a similar issue. I'll unlock the door, get in, turn my key(The car won't even crank over), and my alarm starts to go off. I went to the stealership and they tested my key and said it was fine. I've taken off VATS, swapped relays, checked my ignition lock cylinder, and nothing.. I'm starting to run out of ideas
Old 06-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1W66
VATS Bypass is the cheapest and easiest way to solve your problem.
Check this link and scroll about 3/4 way down to find the Pass Key II Pellet Values
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
And heres a quick easy to understand diagram of the Mod
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
I had Security Light Issues for yrs until one day it wouldn't start for over 30 min. So I finally did the Bypass and have had NO issues since.
I had to do this as well. ^^^^^ It worked, I have has no problem since.

If you don't have a computer to tune it out, a old mechanic told me to pull the key, lick it and try it again. It worked for me once. I also had the negative side of the battery where I could wiggle it and that would reset the cars computer.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Contacts inside the key cylinder have to press against the wires in the resistor on the key in order to read it. Those contacts had gone bad in mine so that just driving over a bump would cause it to lose the signal and I could see it by disconnecting the connector under the dash then bouncing the keys it would go in and out. I cut the wires to the connector coming from the cylinder and soldered a resistor of the same value in. No problems since.

You'll need to measure the resistor in your key(s) in order to find the correct value resistor to put in.

Another thing is if you just jam the resistor into the back side of the connector without cutting the wires going up to the cylinder and you also have an intermittent connection the system can at times see both resistors in parallel which, if both resistors are the same, will be 1/2 the value needed causing continued issues.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01z28geek
Contacts inside the key cylinder have to press against the wires in the resistor on the key in order to read it. Those contacts had gone bad in mine so that just driving over a bump would cause it to lose the signal and I could see it by disconnecting the connector under the dash then bouncing the keys it would go in and out. I cut the wires to the connector coming from the cylinder and soldered a resistor of the same value in. No problems since.

You'll need to measure the resistor in your key(s) in order to find the correct value resistor to put in.

Another thing is if you just jam the resistor into the back side of the connector without cutting the wires going up to the cylinder and you also have an intermittent connection the system can at times see both resistors in parallel which, if both resistors are the same, will be 1/2 the value needed causing continued issues.
Done the bypass and haven't had issues for a couple years, but now it won't start sometimes. Wondering if it's because I jammed the resistor in there or if the wiring on the key cylinder is broken (as I've read elsewhere). I don't really want to pay $500 for a new cylinder. Any options to bypass the cylinder completely? My car is always garaged, so I'm not worried about theft and am open to a pushbutton/killswitch solution or even a remote start solution. Ideas?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Trojan35,

Assuming that you have the right value resistor in (same as what is on the keys) then you need to cut the wires coming from the cylinder. If the computer sees both resistors the value will be wrong.

If you continue to have problems then it's possible the leads on the resistor are no longer making contact in the back of the connector so while you're under there make sure they are. Best way would be to solder the resistor to the wires but if you can't do that this is the next best thing. Put some electrical tape around it all to hold it in place afterwards so it stays in place and doesn't short out against anything.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01z28geek
Trojan35,

Assuming that you have the right value resistor in (same as what is on the keys) then you need to cut the wires coming from the cylinder. If the computer sees both resistors the value will be wrong.

If you continue to have problems then it's possible the leads on the resistor are no longer making contact in the back of the connector so while you're under there make sure they are. Best way would be to solder the resistor to the wires but if you can't do that this is the next best thing. Put some electrical tape around it all to hold it in place afterwards so it stays in place and doesn't short out against anything.
Thanks z28 geek. Replaced the transistor and no problems so far. If it continues to act up ill cut the wire to the cylinder.

Quick Reply: security light flashing car wont start