General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Name that issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that issue...

When I park I have a burning oil smell, usually only smell it after a drive longer than about 10 mins. I believe it may be cooking off pass head, I am hoping its only the valve cover leaking a little (seepage around the bolt gaskets), however I just checked my oil level to make sure its not low and it was a light bit of smoke coming out of the dipstick tube... Whats my oil consumption issue?

need to build a motor sooner than planned?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valve cover leak will land on exhaust manifolds and stink.

A few drops of oil will stink, and not register as a loss on the dipstick. How often are you adding oil? LS1's burn oil when you drive them properly.

A little smoke out of the dipstick tube is nothing to worry about.

You may have a motor problem, but so far, all seems o.k.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the light smoke is puffing out of the dipstick tube or out of the oil fill cap, you have blow-by frow normal wear of the rings or you may have a broken ring.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything is tip top, car runs like a champ, doesnt miss a beat, no knock nothing. it was just a slight constant stream of real thin, light white smoke, it stopped after maybe 20 secs. And Im pretty sure its the valve cover but just wondering if the smoking dipstick was bad. I realize with 145k the cars gonna have some issues, just not wanting to build a motor for it cuz the swap looks like a total pain in the dick.

Thanks tho guys, hopefully I can get the top end rebuilt here pretty soon and that will take care of it