General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans am problem starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am problem starting

well my trans am is having trouble starting, battery is very good, alternator is charging, and everything works i even hooked it up to a charger for like 30mins and it doesn't wanna turn on. i get lucky once in a while and it turns on but it's really ticking me off that i can't drive my own car. Do ya'll think it's the starter? i can't see the starter on my t/a i'm a new ls1 owner so i dunno where it is, can someone give me a clue on where it is? and how much is it to replace at a shop usually?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I have a similar problem. Battery is rocking, its charging....but, it takes 2-3 tries to turn it over. Sounds like it wants to start, just won't quite crank till a few tries. Any suggestions to the two of us?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

lol i turn my key and theres no noise at all... no matter if i try 100 times or 10 times the thing just won't start, it's only sometime i wake up and go in it and just start it the first time and it's fine
Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does the accesories turn on? like the gauges and can you turn the lights on? it personaly sounds like a starter to me. if everything else works, but the car wont even turn over, its gotta be the starter
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Teching In

yah thats what i was thinking everything, i mean everything works. but i can't see the starter and my car is lowered so i deff can't get under there to bang on it lol...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

My starter seems fine. Sounds like it turns normally, just the engine won't catch. We switched the relay and still same thing. My buddy is going to check the fuel pressure when he gets a chance.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Stock99TA it sounds like your starter, you'll need to jack it up.

muteki, it could be your fuel pump. Mine did the same thing. it would always start on the second try. I put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail and it was only reading 10 PSI. After I replaced the pump it was reading 60 PSI and always starts on the first try. Try cleaning your TB and MAF with a TB and MAF spray first. It's cheaper and you might get lucky..
Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I cleaned my MAF and TB probably less than 2k miles ago, so I doubt that it is that, but I will check again...hopefully, you are right. We were leaning towards fuel pressure. In fact, I am actively sourcing the Walbro fuel pump and some other fuel related stuff to see how much it will cost...just in case. I stay in Guam, so fuel pressure gauges aren't that abundant unless you go to the dealer. So, that being said, my friend should have his in a couple weeks, so....until then, I hope it holds up.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

If its the fuel pump then check this one out. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2923 I got this one from the WS6 store. It works great.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Funny you mention that, it is the one I have been looking at. Thanks for reconfirming that it is a good product.

Quick Reply: Trans am problem starting