General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Disabling AC Compressor for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling AC Compressor for Winter

I know that in most cars made after the mid nineties when the climate control is in any position other than off, the ac compressor clutch is engaged and the system is working. In my car I can really feel the ac engage and feel its impact when launching normally from a stop. I want to disconnect the ac and can live without dried air to defrost with through the winter so I have pulled the ac compressor relay underhood and wonder if I'll have any bad side effects. I know that the second cooling fan will come on when the climate control is on and the I.A.C. motor idles up for a sec before returning to normal idle speed.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

You may, but there's no way to know for sure. When it sits idle, it's more prone to spring leaks from the compressor seals once you do start it back up.
However, I don't believe you're right about CC. The compressor should ONLY be on for A/C or defrost, and no other time.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

I've had a friend inside the car cycle through the climate control selections from bi level to defrost to ac to top and bottom and the clutch engages in all positions except for off. BTW stock wiring and no system modifications done to climate control.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your compressor seals will dry out. It is better to run your AC at least once a month, even during the winter, to lube the seals and rings. Otherwise they will dry out and fail.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave it alone.

The AC compressor clutch will only engage in the blue zones of the climate control or on defrost.

Even if you want to give her ****, the PCM will not allow the compressor to engage over a certain RPM (don't remember what it is) or anytime under WOT.

As metioned above, you should run it to keep the seals lubed.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

the a/c should only function in defrost, foot/defrost , a/c, max a/c. Also the temp has nothing to do with it. the compressor will come on if its in the hot position, doest matter. I would just unplug the connector right at the a/c compressor...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2x vote

Originally Posted by eseibel67

Leave it alone.

The AC compressor clutch will only engage in the blue zones of the climate control or on defrost.

As metioned above, you should run it to keep the seals lubed.
You can disconnect the electrical connector on the body of the compressor, but IMHO, leave it alone.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have this same thing in my truck. It has auto recirculate and thus, the ac compressor comes on in any fan setting. I can turn it off in my EFI live, but I really notice it now because my electric fan harness turns the fans on high when the compressor comes on. So it's really jolting my electrical system.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Default Ok

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose I'll just deal with it as opposed to potentially ruining my compressor or lines. The compressor is easy to get to on our cars but I doubt I have the extra 400-500 bucks. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 343 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ss346ci
Thanks for the input guys. I suppose I'll just deal with it as opposed to potentially ruining my compressor or lines. The compressor is easy to get to on our cars but I doubt I have the extra 400-500 bucks. Thanks again.
Good move. You may want to try your test again. The switch to call for the AC to come on is a pretty simple circuit. You may have to pause on the vent settings for a couple of seconds for the system to disengage.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98LS16T56
the a/c should only function in defrost, foot/defrost , a/c, max a/c. Also the temp has nothing to do with it. the compressor will come on if its in the hot position, doest matter. I would just unplug the connector right at the a/c compressor...
Yep, right on, with out the A/C compressor you'll have foggy windows when ever you turn on heat. be sure to keep a few spare shirts or towels to wipe those windows every few minutes cuz you wont be getting all that moisture out very easy. had that problem in my '69 charger. wasn't too fun.

Quick Reply: Disabling AC Compressor for Winter