General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Return hose????

Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Power Steering Return hose????

Does anyone know what the name for the return hose for the power steering is called. The one that comes from the Rack and goes to the cooler, It has one molded metal end that goes into the rack and the other end is rubber and held on by a hose clamp.

All I can find is that Pressure hose, with 2 molded metal ends, everyone I have asked (parts stores) say that the only return hose they list is just a plain rubber hose.

I melted mine with my turbo pipes and need to get a new one.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I'm not sure b/c when I swapped mine out the lines to/from the rack both had fittings on it. The cooler should only have a hose from the resivor to the cooler & from the cooler back to the resivor.

I actually tell everyone I know to remove that POS cooler. If it ever ruptures like mine did it takes a while before you discover it & by then hot coolant will mix in your PS resivor & same goes for PS fluid getting into your coolant.

I'd just honestly do the same thing I did. Replace your top hose with the one minus the cooler provision & just loop a small piece of hose where the lines to/from the cooler entered the resivor. I did mine over 2yrs ago & daily drive year round. Not a single PS pump issue since removing the cooler.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I thought about doing that when I put the upper coolent hose back on when I did the turbo kit, I even made a thread about it but didnt get much responce as to weather its really needed or not.

I will draw up a diagram and try to lable the hose im talking about. So you are saying you have your pressure hose that goes to the rack, and then the return hose from the rack just goes back up to the resivor?

I could do that, but I still need the hose that returns fluid as its the one that is melted and I dont know how much pressure is on it. and how to fit a new hose to a a flaired end to go into the ps rack.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Best I can do for a diagram.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

I also have to replace the same return hose as you tomorrow. I couldnt find any of the local parts stores that carry that return hose either. I did however find the part number for it on the GM Parts Direct website.

Should be part number #26048589 for the return hose (the pressure hose was 26075068). I'm gonna call a few dealerships in the morning and see who has it. It should be a little over $20.

The same part number was mentioned in this older thread :
Click Here For Thread

If I get it and check it out before you get any other responses I'll post up and let you know its the right one.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

You don't need anything other than standard fuel line to replace that. Autozone will have the right size, just cut the factory clamp off the rack end and reuse the fitting with the new hose. That line is the return to the pump, its not under any pressure.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by O2Form
You don't need anything other than standard fuel line to replace that. Autozone will have the right size, just cut the factory clamp off the rack end and reuse the fitting with the new hose. That line is the return to the pump, its not under any pressure.

. this is true.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have one pm me and pay shipping and it's yours
Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
have one pm me and pay shipping and it's yours
I need it tomorrow, but if I can not find one by then I will PM you and be glad to pay shipping if I cant find one anyway.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are in Greenville now then we could meet somewhere or are you back in Raleigh. I'm just in Havelock about 45-50 from Greenville.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Return hose????