General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My throttle is fighting me

Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My throttle is fighting me

Their has been a great deal of change in my car in the past 2 months, I have been throwing an SES light but then after a day it goes away does not come back for like 3 weeks then back on and goes away. The big change is my throttle pedal feels tougher, what I mean is that it takes more pressure by my foot to put it down in normal driving, as if its pushing back. What could effect this, could it be a sensor. What I am worried about is it being an internal problem such as transmission or internal engine. Can I read a code at auto zone after the SES light already has been off for a while. If I WOT she runs through the gears perfectly but does feel like she lost some hp

thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the code will still be in there.

No, this is not a sign of engine damage.

Stiff pedal could be kinked cable or bent throttle shaft. Or, your throttle may just be gummed up. Take the cable off at the TB and you should find the problem.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What codes are you throwing?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ thats where I would start, but definitely check the linkage in clean the TB inside and out. Almost 9 years of carbon buildup can do wonders.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does your car have traction control? If so maybe check the junction box could be something wrong with the box causing the code to be thrown.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was just gonna say that if the car has tcs it retards the throttle if you get to far out of shape. And if it acts up I dont see why it wouldnt be doing the same thing the car might have an abs problem or something since tcs uses the abs sensors and other sensors, just letting ya know
Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been so busy at work that I have yet no time to get the codes checked out, But hoefully tomorrow I will. No my car does not have traction control.

How do I go about cleaning the throttle body. Should I remove it to clean, also I have see "throttle body cleaner sprays" in auto zone, do those work.

Search this Thread